our project

Any questions? We will try and help.
piquet95971

Re: our project

Postby piquet95971 » 17 Oct 2011, 22:28

Did some more of the stripping today have probably done about 20% of the inside of the boat and it is coming up really well. have probably used about 1 1/2 litres of the product so far.

This stripper is fairly expensive but by heck it works well.
The web site for the stripper is below

http://www.diypaintstripping.com.au

I am fairly impressed with the product.
I will try a small patch on the outside of the boat tomorrow and see how it comes up.

I will take some photos and get them to someone to post on the BB for me and then others can see for themselves and be a judge.
cheers for now
peter

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 18 Oct 2011, 23:08

More stripping tonight. Still impressed.
I have sent a couple of photos off to Greg to post on my behalf which will give you all an idea of what I am talking about.

I have probably done about 40% of the inside of the boat now.
I will probably have to get some more to do the rest of the inside of the boat. I will more than likely have some left over to do some of the the outside of the boat when I roll it over.

The one thing that I think that has helped is the removal of the majority of the paint with a heat gun first. It has probably also helped that it was not sticking too well in the first place.

By the end of the week I should have nearly all of the interior done.

Will give an update after all the product has gone.

Then repair a couple f ribs in the bow section before starting to varnish the front half of the boat. So finally some significant progress would seem to be being made.

Cheers
Peter

hookster

Postby hookster » 19 Oct 2011, 08:07

Are you sure you'll be ready for Nerandera next week Pete?

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 19 Oct 2011, 15:53

Peter
I will get around to putting the pics up, just a bit flat out with everything else at the moment, including night shift.
Greg

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 21 Oct 2011, 07:28

Here are the pics Peter was referring to:

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (336.63 KiB) Viewed 6581 times

Before on the right, after on the left

photo1.JPG
photo1.JPG (311.25 KiB) Viewed 6580 times

After stripping and cleaning

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 21 Oct 2011, 18:59

Many thanks to Greg for posting the above pictures of the project and the paint stripper results.

As you can see the results are nothing short of astounding a can be seen in the second picture.

It has now been revealed the the boat is constructed from Coachwood marine ply. The fact that this ply was used is probably one of the reasons that I have yet to find any rot in the planking. It seems to have shrunk and some of the nails especially those through the planks and ribs will need retightening.

I am intending to replace a couple of ribs in the bow section as I am not happy with the way that they were originally installed. They were installed in one piece but do not sit hard down on the planks near the keel nor on the deadwood/keelson. I will replace them with two pieces port and stud and make a cross piece that will be screwed into the deadwood/keelson and screwed into the ribs. Not sure about glueing will have to have a think about it.

I have ordered some more of the stripper but will have to wait till sometime next week for it to arrive. In the meantime I will probably end up taking the ribs out that need to replaced, make new ones and get them all set for reroving and nailing.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 22 Oct 2011, 20:42

Removed #8 & 10 ribs and made new ones. Using 32x8 mm Spotted Gum.
Port ribs #8 & 10 reinstalled
Screwed in place to get the correct bend in the ribs before they get nailed and roved back in place.
Have to get some longer nails to suit.

Tomorrow will do the starboard side.
I will still need a steam box to do the midships ribs as the ribs there have a fairly severe bend in them and I doubt that I could bend them cold.

Only hassle is going to be that the new ribs will be a lot lighter in colour than the original ribs. Well, at least it will be visible as to the extent that ribs have been replaced!!

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 23 Oct 2011, 17:27

just returned home from the working with wood show.
There was heaps of really nice large chunks of timber there and some snazzy woodworking tools.
I was surprised at the amount of Huon Pine and Autralian Cedar that was for sale. Some of the Huon Pine was really good but some was a bit ordinary. If one can call any Huon Pine ordinary.
There was heaps of nice red gum, jarrah but I was really impressed with the Cedar.

I was also impressed with the quality of some of the hand tools that are being made now. They leave the old Stanley and Record tools for dead especially impressed with the Gidgee handled spoke shaves.

Glad I didnt have too much cash with me or I would have been in trouble (again)

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 25 Oct 2011, 22:06

More ribs have been re installed. took another out tonight and stripped the area behind the removed rib.
I am amazed at how much dirt and crud is inside the boat behind the ribs.
One cracked while trying to bend it to suit the curve in the bow. So SWMBO suggested soaking it in hot water.
Hottest water available in the bath and soaked the ribs for half an hour. Not as flexible as steaming if my memory is correct but for a slight bend OK
I probably wold have got around to that idea and it definitely bent better and easier to the necessary shape.

Hoping the stripper turns up tomorrow so I can start on the rest of the boat. Then I will really know that we are making some progress.
cheers
peter

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 29 Oct 2011, 22:06

I know where I'd rather be and that would be in Nerrandara than here on the end of some paint stripper.

Stripper turned up so spent this Arvo starting from the transom and working fwd. I have done full width of the boat and about 400 mm along the boat. There was oil along with the paint so it took lots to clean and strip it.

I was wondering. It's not coming up as clean as I would like, especially in the midships area under where the engine is located stretching towards the rear of the boat. So I have the thought of using Cabots deck clean to clean the inside of the boat. Mix it up as per the instructions spray it on with a "Hills" type garden sprayer, let it soak, in scrub it with a coarse dust pan brush and then hit it with the Karcher to get all the grunge out of the boat.
Good idea or is it too harsh for the inside of a boat?

I still have plenty of more stripping before I get to that stage though. Tomorrow I will do more stripping and probably remove on other couple of the cracked ribs that has to be replaced. That should take care of most of another day!!!
Cheers
Peter

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”