Creator

Re: Buster Skiff Restoration

Postby Greg » 07 Nov 2017, 20:30

Nice Phil. Maybe get a peek next Saturday

Will

Postby Will » 19 Mar 2018, 17:38

Guess I should be here rather than the 'do you need this' page
Have checked over the Pug engines and done a bit of research - lots of helpful info from the WA connection
however lot of work to build the peugeot 403 engine the way I want it - that will be the eventual outcome
In the meantime the 149 holden looks to be the much easier option to get the boat in the water
It is complete with dry sump conversion and has exhaust but no inlet manifold or carbs I will partially strip to confirm condition .
Question - I can lay my hands on a lynx manifold and have a matching 48 DCOE weber to suit - does anyone run anything like this? Will it
work in a boat? Or should I just buy a std manifold and carb for the interim

Alan

Postby Alan » 20 Mar 2018, 08:35

Either get two more webers or just go std or holley for now

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 22 Mar 2018, 09:36

In my experience a single DCOE weber set up is painfull if you don't want to deal with flatspots getting out of the water. Full out race it would be ok. I ditched the weber, found a lynx adapter for SU's and it transformed the boat.

DSC01131.JPG
DSC01131.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 24854 times

Will

Postby Will » 23 Mar 2018, 08:09

Hmmm not only do your SUs work well they really look the part!
My problem is that I have the weber (s) left over from race car days and also a Lynx manifold. It seems I should try to make the weber work because the plan is to only have the holden in there for a few months (maybe!)
I see you are using a heat exchanger system - if its not a rude question - roughly what size is the heat exchanger? In Buster the holden would probably work ok with raw water but the Pug engines are very susceptible to head cracking and a stable water temp is desireable

Darren

Postby Darren » 23 Mar 2018, 11:47

Nice setup.
Hey Will from my experience the temporary set up may be in use for some time.
You may enjoy driving the skiff with the big block red!
;)

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 23 Mar 2018, 11:55

Ahoy there all!

I will put this here as it may help Will? However I have enjoyed the recent scuttlebutt re the Old pic of Venus II and with this in mind check out www.precisionmarine.com.au looks like a handy site especially re heat exchangers. If you scroll down the left side you will find "Restoration of wood ski boat" click on this will take you to some cool photos titled "Restoration of our Jack Eddy time runabout ski boat" CINDY.

PS settle down Greg!

Enjoy, Chivs

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 23 Mar 2018, 11:57

Glossary of terms - "time" is in fact timber!

Darren

Postby Darren » 24 Mar 2018, 11:02

There's some good stuff on these guys site, Great Find Captain.
And it pays to read posts clearly, I was thinking when did Chivs restore an Eddy?

Wildwoody1

Postby Wildwoody1 » 24 Mar 2018, 11:40

No matter what Carbs are used you need to understand them, get a proper Tuning Manual and follow carefully and all will work out well.
Nothing works properly for every application straight from the Box.And almost all are jetted on the rich side.(And yes Tuning does costs in parts) The best Carbs built came out of Italy. Ensure the Carb size is not to large for the engine capacity, Holleys are all to large in 2 throat configuration for good response from low Revs when fitted to a Red Holden .
Trying to compare fixed Venturi Carbs against Variable Venturi Carbs is like comparing Oranges and Grapes.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”