Little skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Re: Little skiff

Postby screwit » 07 Jan 2018, 21:49

Today I shortened the prop shaft by 50mm and reinstalled it and washed the bottom of the boat out with the pressure washer.
The eng has been done and only need to get a new gasket for the rocker cover and install it and the motor can go back in .
I have release the keel back to where it was almost before I pulled it up in two spots, in front and behind the shaft log so it will be starting from scratch with so many changes .

Wildwoody1

Postby Wildwoody1 » 08 Jan 2018, 11:20

The bottom should be flat along the planing area from the centre of balance to the end of the cav plate.If this is used as a start point you are then able to adjust the ride to some degree. If the bottom has a hook built in it will always be difficult to stop from leaping at differing speeds.
Some builders liked a wild hull as they thought they were faster , however speed gained on the leap is lost on the entry back into the water. A wild ride can feel good though, Small Record breaking Skiffs such as "Lightning" and "Screamin Eagle" road high but kept a flattish angle of attack on the water.
You should feel the prop push forward as you increase speed , not feel it pushing the hull upwards.
Wildwoody1

screwit

Postby screwit » 10 Jan 2018, 07:25

The eng is now bolted in and ready to go , I just have to finish the external breather and fill it with oil.
Have cut a rebate in the top side of the keel out side of the transom , this will allow the flex needed in the solid run through keel to ajust the cavplate .

screwit

Postby screwit » 08 Nov 2019, 20:09

Back adjusting the keel just in front of the shaft log .
Have pulled it up until it was to tight for the threds and found the keel hard up under the sump ..Unbolted the engine mounts and then the keel wound up until it was almost strait .
This moved the shaft position at the flange about 4mm , then the eng will need to be lifted about 6mm front and rear to line it up.
It will be ready for a test run with the webers next week if the weather is ok .
Looks good from under neath along the keel now .

screwit

Postby screwit » 03 Dec 2019, 22:17

After some testing found a head gasket blown with 1 @ 2 not fireing.
This was after a few quick runs at 6000 rpm . Prop is to small in pitch.
All so found the keel had pull away from the transom about 4mm and letting water in .
So a few more mods to be made . 1st is to pull the nails that a supposed to hold the keel and glue and screw it back up tight.
Found l could move the skeg forward 30 mm and not change the eng position then l could use the 3 blade chopper style l had .it is smaller in diameter but is 17 pitch .
Now head back on with a second out let on the high end of the head and ready for oil and new plugs tomorrow and a start up on the trailer.

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 03 Dec 2019, 22:24

We'll be waiting a while for decent testing weather.

screwit

Postby screwit » 04 Dec 2019, 07:00

Hope we get some inflows to the lake after rain.

screwit

Postby screwit » 05 Dec 2019, 07:19

Eng fired up and idled with in 30 seconds with out any adjustments to the webers.
That has to be a good Sign .

screwit

Postby screwit » 16 Feb 2020, 08:08

Test run yesterday with the 48 weber , went well then a quick prop change and out to test again.
Eng still made 6000rpm speed unknown as I fogot to take the mobile with me .
The prop had a small vibration but it didn't cavatate. Will have another look at the prop and do some more re-shapeing. and rebalance.

screwit

Postby screwit » 20 Sep 2022, 21:39

Latest news is two garboad planks are out from under front of the engine to transom and two new planks made from left over ply have been ripped and laminated ready for fitting.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”