Hartley resto

Any questions? We will try and help.
rayza1

Re: Hartley resto

Postby rayza1 » 08 Jul 2017, 20:50

Thanks Greg, you have noidea how hard it was to refit those bloody windows........It came VERY close to becoming a runabout

Darren

Postby Darren » 10 Jul 2017, 00:36

Looks great Ray, fuuny you should say that, probabily still would have looked good as a runabout :)

screwit

Postby screwit » 10 Jul 2017, 22:22

Would make a good all weather safty boat on lake at Narrandera Ray

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 11 Jul 2017, 17:15

boat screen.jpg
boat screen.jpg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 8089 times

Making the windscreen was the single hardest thing I have done on the boat so far, trying to match the curvature of the cabin and having to make each side individually because they are not a mirror image just about drove me nuts. The only fancy tool I had at my disposal was a linisher. I still have to make some small timber trims to hide the screw but that's a later job. If all goes well I might bring it to Narrandera although its not really the type of boat that we're about...we will see!

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 18 Jul 2017, 01:59

Another quick update, windscreen finished and most of the wiring is back in. Everything appears to be working as it should, will fit a fully charged battery tomorrow and see if i can get it running. Will do maiden voyage in the next couple of weekends ( time permiting)......all very exciting really!

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 18 Jul 2017, 18:10

Looking good Ray, its good to see someone is doing work on their boat. I won't be getting much done because I am stuck working in Richmond NSW for the rest of the year and it is an 8 hour drive to go home for the weekend.
Keep up the good work.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 14 Aug 2017, 21:03

After a week of battling the flu i managed to get a bit of time on the Hartley. Finally got to find out if the Johno actually run as it hasn't been started in the three odd years that i've had it and who knows how long before that! hooked up a fuel tank, run a bit of wd40 down the bores and worked it a bit, hooked up a battery and it fired up almost instantly and settled into a steady idle with no drama's. It sounds really strong for an egg beater!! Started making some seat cushions as well. Will get a couple more pics up when i can.

Will

Postby Will » 12 Oct 2017, 09:13

Hi Ray,
this is a question for the resident Hartley 'expert' - obviously you are - look at the great resto on yours!
Im about to have an inspection of the Hartley advertised in our 'do you need this' section
I know they aren't really the type of boat CAWPBA encourage but it is wood is old and is a speed boat (sort of)
I dont know but my best guess is that its a Vixen either 15 or 17?
These could be built either as a cabin or Runabout this was built as a runabout
any thoughts?
cheers Kevin

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 12 Oct 2017, 18:14

Hi Kevin, i'm certainly no expert on Hartley's but i can say that i personally love the look of them. The pink one earlier on this thread was built in the 60's by my Dad (i helped carry the hammer!!) and ran a Grey motor which he marinised himself. It was certainly quick enough to get up on the plane and from my memories handled well. Not sure why you think it's not a club type of boat ? V8 Clevo....should fly!!! Not really that different to some of the cruisers we have and will be pretty unique. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure they are a Kiwi design. If you like it and it's what you want, go for it!

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 12 Oct 2017, 18:22

Further to the above post, for what it's worth mine is finished! Just waiting on a service for the Johno and for Carol to make me some mattresses for the bunks, rego is booked for the 23rd and the service for the 26th so there won't be much time for any test runs before Narrandera

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”