Invader

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Re: Invader

Postby screwit » 23 Jul 2016, 20:26

Go pedal and steering crossbar and steering shaft is all in.
Electrical loom is ruffed and laid and smiths gauges and taco fitted ready to be hooked up.
In the process of fitting an alternater to the front engine plate on rhd side and will run water pump on the other side on a second belt
Progress on the engine, block is now bored to +40 and no sleeve needed.

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 24 Jul 2016, 09:19

Sounds like your making some good progress Ross. I'll have to come around for a sticky when I'm home.

screwit

Postby screwit » 04 Aug 2016, 20:20

Wire loom completed.
Water pump and altenater fitted.
Water pump drive sorted.
Gauges and switches , lgnition switch fitted.
A new rudder l had needed the end turned for a thred and just managed to get it in my lathe and turned it down for a thred.
Just need to get the square milled down to fit the quadrant.
A bracket was made to mount the coil off the belhouseing bolts as there is no provision for the coil on the manifold

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 04 Aug 2016, 21:16

Cant be too far off now Ross.

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 05 Aug 2016, 15:56

Any chance of a pic to two Ross?
BobW

screwit

Postby screwit » 07 Dec 2016, 22:34

At the stage we are dummy assembly of engine with cam and valve clearances
Needed some clearance on the edge of piston valve releafs to clear inlet valves.
Heads to be machined for bigger valve springs.
Hope to get it assembled to a closed motor by the end of next week.
Work getting in the way again !!!

screwit

Postby screwit » 29 Mar 2017, 21:26

Engine is now assembled, waiting on me to get back to Heathcote with carbs and other parts to bolt on and run on the engine bench.
Fuel tanks are finally installed and fillers in deck done and all the front hardware on the deck fitted.
Have made new seat boxes ready for trim , but will use original seat to test run .
Have now fitted a stock 283 that I pulled from my hotrod in Jan this year, although is has some piston rattle it was running ok.
Only have some hoses to fit up and install the prop and shaft . the temp. eng fit was not with out some work though in I had to drill and tape front of the block for eng plate, and drill out rusted block drains and re-tap them and machine a 12mm spacer with locators to keep every thing aliened up as this is not running a flywheel [as the new engine will be] to keep plenty of drive on the box spline . once prop shaft is in I will need to check crank alignment again as the box is on a self aliening mount and needs the shaft in place .
Motor is running nice in the boat with no leaks so far . all plumbing for the heat exchanger is done [not connected] but will run raw water first to avoid scale blocking the heat exchanger.
Will give the deck another 2 coats before we get it wet.
Getting closer now , not sure where I will run the first water test yet, may be we might get some rain here and fill up the Glenmaggie soon.

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 29 Mar 2017, 23:09

Going well Ross. We might end up hitting the water at the same time?? Give me a yell when your close.

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 30 Mar 2017, 06:24

Sounds very close to hitting the water Ross, any photos?

screwit

Postby screwit » 13 Apr 2017, 21:37

Now Have rego VS108.
still need to do the trailer but after some fix up of lights and a lick of paint.
have had some problems with carb, have swapped from quadajet to small holly 4 bl I had but it has issues to so a rebuild from 2 other quads I had has got it running ok for now.
Have drilled water outlet in side of the hull for water from cooling, wasn't happy about doing this but didn't want to run water through the headers .Its only a 3/4" hole anyway and easy to plug later.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”