Deck Coatings

Any questions? We will try and help.
Greg
Creator

Deck Coatings

Postby Greg » 30 Jun 2015, 16:58

Post redirect for Osprey

Hi there everyone.....".long time listener ,first time caller"......
I have an old (early 70's ) Everingham that l'm in the process of restoring /doing up.
Looking for some input from all those out there who have been there, done that
regarding what product to use on the marine ply /veneered deck.
Only expecting maybe 50%of the usual responses because..god..!!...horror..!!
it's plastic on the bottom half !!
I DID look at timber/wooden ..honest.....but seeing as it's my 1st project /resto
I took the easy way out ....although learning about motors,mounts ,dog clutches,
linkages,veneers,and epoxy etc etc etc has been interesting AND fun.....
If this cunning plan comes to fruition there just may be an old wooden clunker
out there with my name on it at some stage......just add $$$, time and stir !!
Back to the $ 64000 question at hand..........
Timber framework and ply decking had been redone prior to puchasing and is all OK.
I've sourced,cut and prepared 4mm+ veneered marine ply ready for gluing to deck.
Been holding off because of cool temp......looking at using Purbond (Boatcraft)
Any thoughts/pros/cons re this stuff ???
Re the top coat for deck.....would like to have a durable, top class , glossy finish with all the
prep, sanding and sanding and sanding that its supposed to entail.
Not having done anything of this scale before l'm open to your suggestions .
Thanks,in anticipation,
Steven

osprey

Re: Deck Coatings

Postby osprey » 01 Jul 2015, 12:00

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice prior to my post getting on to the BB.
Still learning how to drive this sucker...and still sorting through which way I'll go on the deck.
Leaning towards the Spa Marine varnish at the moment as l've used it before .
Although, this is more important than my wife's kitchen benchtops l recon !!??
Steven

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 03 Jul 2015, 17:47

Those of you who replied to Steve, how about putting your responses here again for everyone else. I'm certainly interested.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 03 Jul 2015, 23:32

I reaponded to the post highlighting my failures sealing the grain with epoxy before you put the clear on.
All of the boats ive done have had the clear get that milky look called blooming.
Ive seen several other peoples boats get the same defect.
I also mentioned the differences between using two pac polyurethane over traditional varnish.
Ive become a bit of a varnish advocate but have had success and failures with 2 pac.

screwit

Postby screwit » 04 Jul 2015, 01:16

I to have had problems with 2 pac
Splitting an lifting and not moving with the deck and timber expansion.
I use marine varish on all my boats.
I also coat under the deck to help seal out moisture

Darren

Postby Darren » 04 Jul 2015, 19:06

Yes here is my response similar to Dave and Ross

Hi Steven,
It is an interesting concept the science of deck finishing.
Epoxy base coat with 2 pack polyurethane is a recent traditional method used in more recent times.
Ive done this method using the Botecoat epoxy with botecote epoxy thinner then 2 pac poly over the top (sprayed) warning here, it is fraut with danger "blooming" is a real danger. Safest method with new ply I believe is a good marine varnish with Uv inhibitors such as Monocel brand from the big green shed (Bunnings) it has high gloss charateristics with out the "blooming" risk. The reason epoxy basecoat is adopted is it has brilliant grain and damage filling properties with weathered deck timber with new decks this is not necessary. Epoxy by itself is not generally adopted as it has poor UV resistance .... It goes milky in strong Uv exposure.
Some information to start with
Cheers
Darren

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 06 Jul 2015, 11:17

Steven must be confused by now ,before i give my ideas i have paper work from Seacraft for the purchase of a complete boat or the hull only .
Coating and finishes .Note-Under no circumstances should paints , enamels and varnishes be used on a Seacraft hull .
Materials recommended are modern fibre glass resins , which if applied to instructions will give unlimited service .
Polyurethane & pentachlorphenol materials .
Maintenance-Seacraft current model Hulls (GT) are built to incorporate the latest American Epoxy Resin/Dynal Glass technique .A technique which has distinct advantages to all oather methods and materials .
Hull finished with-2 pot Polyurethane or
epoxy Resin or
Epoxy Resin/Dynel Glass .
I will enter my suggestion later .
Ken .

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 06 Jul 2015, 11:19

Forgot to mention the paper work is from 1969 .

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 06 Jul 2015, 17:37

I have tried different ideas ,I will give you a rundown of what i have found works for me .
First sand back to bare timber clean down with air or brush and give it a coat of Bote Cote with TPRDA timber preservative mixed with it ,it helps penertrate the ply .Do not use any other brand or add anything to it as it could cause it to bloom .I mix it in a plastic container and apply it with a foam spounge ,make sure you get a good coverage .The reason i do this is if you put the clear coat on the bare timber(spraying) you get a lot of shrinkage as the thinners evaporates out and you see the grain marks where as the Bote Cote fills the grain marks and bonds the ply .You will need to leave it a few days then rub it back(hard work) use wet rub as the dry paper tends to clog ,if you rub through to bare timber mix a small amount and touch up these spots, if you don't you will be sorry when you apply the clear coat. I have found you need a lot less clear coat when you use the Bote Cote first .
Next .I use Norglass 2 pack clear .I buy it in 1/2 litre containers as i find it easy to mix and useually does a tack coat and a good secound coat . The worst thing i find is to mix to much clear as you look in the pot and think i don't want to waste this and spray it on only to find you have to much build up and it runs (learn't the hard way) .I know buying small containers is more expensive but i find it a lot easier.
Prep .Clean down the surface with a rag and spraying thinners,give it a few minutes to dry off and then give it a good go over with a Tack Cloth ,you can buy these at Bunnings or paint shops you will be amazed at how much extra dust they remove and now you are ready to paint.
Paint .If you decide to use the Norglass be careful to get coverage on first go as it tacks up fairly fast ,i always put on a light coat then leave it 10 minutes before applying a secound heavier coat,it should gloss up like glass .Be very careful of going back over areas as the spray mist can settle on the surface and you will pick it when it dries .I have found two 1/2 litre lots useually is enough ,the finished job is worth the effort .
If i put painted color edging or stripes i mask up and brush it on with norglass 2 pack ,you can buy brushing thinners give it a light rub back ,I do this before the clear is applied .
Ken

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 06 Jul 2015, 19:59

I will never seal any timber with any sort of epoxy again. All it does is reduce the amount of coats of clear required.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”