& slow it begins - stardust resto (Now "RIVETS")

Any questions? We will try and help.
Cichlid

Re: & slow it begins - stardust resto (Now "RIVETS")

Postby Cichlid » 09 Sep 2014, 17:01

So the motor is out & striped, all but 2 bores have servere water damage at the bottom of the stroke, so the block is being bored and sleeved. Looks as though water has. On my way! In via the exhausts. Not sure what you guys do, but wiyh past boats, I've always started the boat when it's back on the trailer.
Deck is striped. I've got a 4 day break coming up starting Monday.
Will build a frame to support the boat upside down to strip the bottom. I've decided not to stop the inside, it's still in pretty good shape & it's been out of the water for long enough.

Cichlid

Postby Cichlid » 16 Nov 2014, 11:17

I've put a wanted add up, the block is too far gone, so chasing a replacement.
There's some areas on the top deck the the nails have pulled through, could I use small s/s screws to pull it back down, counter sink & fill? If so, what's the best to fill with?

hookster

Postby hookster » 17 Nov 2014, 10:11

Hi mate my advice regarding fixing the deck ply back down would be to use the best waterproof adhesive you can find and re-nail it down. Once the glue sets the nails are redundant anyway, and you can fill over the nail heads.

Good luck finding a 313 Chrysler!

Jon.

Cichlid

Postby Cichlid » 18 Nov 2014, 11:13

Thanks for the reply, I'll see what mitre 10 has here & give it a go
I've also secured 2 blocks so alls good again

Cichlid

Postby Cichlid » 28 Dec 2014, 09:37

IMG_1365.JPG
IMG_1365.JPG (84.88 KiB) Viewed 8838 times
Hi again, in relation to the waterproof glue -
Mitre 10 sells a couple

There's a 2 part Selley's product that you can use underwater, & claims to be waterproof, suitable for timber, metal plastics etc
Would this be ok to use?

Also, where the black trim paint is on the deck, what type of filler can be used for the nail heads - Mitre 10 sales guy recommended timber / builders bog - would this crack?
& can a type of bog / filler be used to chamfer / feather the edge of the black trim, save trying to remove it all & damage the deck
Thanks
Last edited by Cichlid on 29 Dec 2014, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Cichlid

Postby Cichlid » 28 Dec 2014, 10:28

IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG (70.55 KiB) Viewed 8832 times
Attachments
IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1367.JPG (94.28 KiB) Viewed 8830 times

Cichlid

Postby Cichlid » 20 Oct 2015, 20:08

So its been quite a while since any progress has been made on the boat, moved to Newcastle for work & now ha e tore my Rotator Cuff
S
Just read back through the posts & have been pondering the cause of the steering issue at low speed, could it be something as simple as the front fin being out of alignment, or something to do with the shape of the bottom of the hull???
Any input, thoughts welcomed

Cichlid

Postby Cichlid » 16 Nov 2015, 10:47

Anyone?

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 16 Nov 2015, 17:04

How slow is low speed Tim?

There is always plenty of discussion around this subject. A to big a rudder can cause the boat to roll over and continue straight at higher speeds, but a rudder turned too far at low speeds turns into a brake and will not turn the boat. The first one is often cured by reducing the size of the rudder, the second can be cured by rudder stops positioned such that you cannot turn the rudder too far.

From the lousy picture I have of the rudder on your boat, it doesn't look too big.

There's plenty of other theories out there as well.

Cichlid

Postby Cichlid » 17 Nov 2015, 02:30

Greg,
I'm unsure of the issue, as I've not had the boat in the water, & as you said the rudder doesn't appear too large, I'm only going on the posts above.
I understand the roll when cornering, Cardinal Puff used to fall off the corners, left from memory more that right, & we fitted stops to it. Skidaddle 4 turned much better, & was an older boat than Puff, I guess I'll start with confirm ing the centre fin is straight & go from there
Thanks for the reply
I'll be home on the weekend, so I'll get a photo of the rudder up too

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”