when not in the shed

For when it's not really wooden speed boat related
piquet95971

Re: when not in the shed

Postby piquet95971 » 12 Sep 2013, 10:28

When not in the shed I like to be in the shed!!!
I will emai a photo of my other passion to Greg to post here.

Historic racing can be fun but the cars now are so much better than the cars were in their "heyday".
More reliable engines better tyres and substantially better brakes even when using standard
Calipers.
There are not many original cars racing in the Group Nc historic touring car class. Only a couple of genuine GT Falcons, one Valiant Pacer and a couple of XU1's. One LJ and one LC.
In the group Nb class there is one car racing that has only ever been a race car for it whole life since 1959. The ex Graham Blanchard FE Holden, it's raced as App J, Improved Tourer and as a Group C car. Probably done more racing miles than just about anything else around!

All the cars in the Group C and Group A category are the original vehicles, in their original format or at least from one point of time from their racing career, in their original colours.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 12 Sep 2013, 11:01

ps.jpg
ps.jpg (249.75 KiB) Viewed 6765 times

screwit

Postby screwit » 12 Sep 2013, 13:08

that looks like fun, peter, has it got a towbar for the boat!!!!!!

tommo

Postby tommo » 12 Sep 2013, 13:29

Jeez that was spooky, 8-) Great shot too by the way.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 12 Sep 2013, 19:15

It is fun when everything goes right. I'm hoping to get back out there for the Sandown Historic in November.
The XU1 has a 186 ci fitted, 'cause it's an LC, with 3 x 45 mm webers, roller roickers, some real good extractors and a really radical cam. It's a flat tappet cam not a roller which is being used by most people. They cost heaps to get the machining done for them. Lots of other things need to be changed to get them to work properly which is why I have stayed with a solid lifter cam.
Last time it was on a dyno it made 152Kw at the rear wheels. That is good enough to get it round Phillip Island in low 1:58 and Sandown in 1: 28sec with standard calipers and good brake pads. It's now fitted with BMW vented rotors and Volvo 4 pisston calipers and the same pads so should be good for another second to 1.5 secs a lap quicker once I get used to driving it again!!!

The other race car is in storage at present. Not enough room at home for 2 race cars, a truck, a boat, a work ute and the BM that SWMBO drives. The other car is even rarer than an XU1. Its an early Japanese touring car called a Prince Skyline GT.
A 1964 model with a 2ltr 6 cylinder SOHC fitted with 3 x 40 mm webers, a 5 speed gearbox, LSD and a 99 Ltr fuel tank. it was good for 112 mph in 1964 on 560x 13 crossplys.
Neither the Torana nor the Prince have a Tow bar, but there is one on the L34 but that's another story. The tow car for the boat will be the Commodore Ute.
cheers
Peter
Last edited by piquet95971 on 13 Sep 2013, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

screwit

Postby screwit » 12 Sep 2013, 19:46

Peter, I saw a prince in Shepparton on Sunday as I pull out of the museum with the boat. Have not seen one on the road for 20 od yrs , My mates brother had one after he traded his Honda 800 sports car in on it in the early 70,s.
,It went hard compared with what was about then, another car that was around then was the Isuzu Bellett GT, they to where quick little cars, this is when the Japs started to get into racing.
Ross

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 12 Sep 2013, 21:06

Nice shot Pete. Ive got an original old racing car. Its a 1958 fiat 500 abarth. The guy went to italy in59 and bought it brand new. He drove it all over Europe for 18 months. He crossed the sahara desert, went to norway , le mans and brooklands. After his holiday he had it shpped bere and started racing it.
At first it raced stock then supercharged.
Eventually the fiat engine was replaced with a heavily modified Austin healey sprite married to a fiat 650 gearbox. The front brakes were changed to fj holden with the wheels cut down to 12in.
Due to the engine hanging out the back the car was sent to race car body building legend Stan Brown. The man with the golden hammer fashioned in alloy a streamlined tail. The car grew in length by three feet.
The car went on to hold the 61 and 62 lap record at oran park. It stopped racing in 62 and was retired to the shed.
I bought the car off the original owner a few years ago with all the documentation from new. Even an invitation from abarth to visit them at the geneva motor show.
If you search abarth sprite something should come up.
Its almost restored.

tommo

Postby tommo » 13 Sep 2013, 06:43

tommo

Postby tommo » 13 Sep 2013, 08:18

Your torana sounds like she would be a hell of a lot of fun, the 4 spotters should lower the stress level a fair bit i would imagine.cheers tommo

Return to “Off Topic”