Resto Pommy style

For when it's not really wooden speed boat related
Alan

Resto Pommy style

Postby Alan » 24 Jun 2012, 21:31

Posting this for Chivs, he found it out there in the ether somewhere. It's a great story although I haven't been able to find out any more about the resto process. As usual started looking at the boat then the engines (Napier) then got lost in the web somewhere myself.
Alan

http://www.classicboat.co.uk/news/ww2-a ... f9M.mailto

Chivs

Re: Resto Pommy style

Postby Chivs » 25 Jun 2012, 09:37

Thanks Alan, glad you enjoyed it too!

I think the full,story will be in the latest Classic Boat Mag? As a result of Tomboy photo in the January Edition I bought it and got the free application for the Magazine and they send advertising for their magazines plus other useful stuff, it's worth getting.

I think the lesson I have learnt re restoration, and it shows in the attached u tube link, that if you can get something original with all it's original bits it makes the job less daunting and easier to achieve.

Cheers boys!

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 25 Jun 2012, 10:45

That is just something special! What a great vid.
Greg

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 26 Jun 2012, 17:15

I saw something recently that said Lawrence of Arabia, whatever his name was, was involved in setting up the rescue of downed airmen from fast motor boats and was quite the speedboat buff. Just a bit of useless information.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 26 Jun 2012, 21:21

In relation to the above statement... I researched T E LAWRENCE RAF SERVICE history and could find nothing to verify the above statement.... now i dont know if i imagined it or not! Did anyone else watch the British docco called Coast?

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 26 Jun 2012, 21:34

I knew i wasn't going mad !!!!
"Great Mystery of Colonel Lawrence: Simple Aircraftman, or What?" was the question posed by a London newspaper. Lawrence had become radioactive. The RAF pulled him out of India on Jan. 8, 1929, and sent him home. Air Ministry leaders considered sacking Lawrence again, as in 1923. They finally decided to assign their troublesome airman, in March 1929, to RAF Cattewater, a seaplane base near Plymouth on the English Channel. At Cattewater (soon renamed RAF Mount Batten), Lawrence began working with seaplanes, launches, and speedboats. He embarked on a new career in the design, construction, and operation of the RAF’s high-speed rescue sea craft.

He was self-taught. Lawrence, respected now for his marine knowledge, was invited to write the official handbook for the RAF ST 200-class speedboats. Korda writes, "The handbook remains today perhaps the most concise and most instructive technical manual ever published." It was in use until after World War II.

Return to “Off Topic”