Pulley wheel

Looking for that hard to get item? Put the word out here.
glenn

Pulley wheel

Postby glenn » 16 Sep 2010, 05:23

Hi , i am chasing a pulley wheel that bolts on to a 272 y block and drives the generator and water pump, and all so the engine is running a dry sump. What size sump tank and where would i be able to buy one. Any help would be great. Glenn 0418710230

bootlegger

Re: Pulley wheel

Postby bootlegger » 16 Sep 2010, 08:34

Cant help with the pulley but my hydro nruns a 12 litre tank. You only half fill them. Dave

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 16 Sep 2010, 22:31

hey glen
ive just finished setting up my holden with dry sump. you should be able to make the pump drive up your self because i doubt you will be able to find one. you first need to work out what size gear you need to run off the crank. my pump runs at half the crank speed so it has the bigger drive wheel on the pump and the smaller one on the crank. We made up a spacer to suit where the drive gear needs to be which also holds the harmonic balancer on.
basically you will need : drive gear, stainless rod as spacer ( mine is 35mm) , key way and a big unbreako bolt to suit the thread in crank.
with mine we drilled the rod so it would take the bolt through it. determine length of spacer to suit your drive gear and cut to suit. die grind the rod to take the key which will stop the gear turning on the end of the spacer. stick the balancer on engine and bolt spacer and gear thru to hold the balancer on.
i made up a dry sump tank which is allot larger then it needs to be. as dave said it should be about 12 litres and will only need to be half full. id strongly suggest you buy a peterson tank and save rooting around making one your self. they have an oil level guage on them and all the fittings to suit most applications.
the tanks turn up on ebay allot and you should be able to get one for around $400 to $500. do not run it untill you pull it apart and give it a good clean out. Allot of tanks have had an engine blow up go thru them so you need to pull them apart and give it a good clean. Ive cleaned out a few and its an easy job. certainly worth buying a 2nd hand one and save yaself some cash.
to buy a drive gear get onto rocket or vpw and they will be able to sort out the gear.

brian

glenn

Postby glenn » 20 Sep 2010, 05:20

Cheers, thanks for your help, Dale, Dave and Brian that will keep the engine progressing. Glenn.

Return to “Wanted”