tea tree

Looking for that hard to get item? Put the word out here.
piquet95971

tea tree

Postby piquet95971 » 13 May 2010, 21:36

I need to replace the breasthook and the quarter knees in the newly acquired boat.
Currently they are made from a single piece of Maple : all straight grained.
I would like to replace them with what is called a "grown knee". Usually they are made from teatree and the shape is cut out from the crook of a branch to trunk intersection such that the grain runs around the corner.
The reason that this is done is so as to eliminate any short grain section on the stress areas of the knees

Any leads would be appreciated
This is an example of a Plywood laminated knee
Attachments
100_2761.JPG
100_2761.JPG (125.58 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
100_2754.JPG
100_2754.JPG (74.93 KiB) Viewed 4310 times

bauchy

Re: tea tree

Postby bauchy » 14 May 2010, 19:58

hey, ive made hand rails for stair cases and i believe the way we do them would suit this application.

i rip down thin strips of timber ( tas oak usually ) and make a template in the shape you want the timber to be in. this does get messy so be prepared. once you have ya strips all ripped down and ya template made and screwed to a bench all you need is some epoxy, i use bote cote.

have all ya strips of timber ready to go. mix up ya epoxy and coat each strip with epoxy then stick the next strip on to the last. continue this untill you have the thickness you are after. now that you have made a mess and have all ya strips covered in epoxy and laying on top of each other you need to clamp them around your template. i clamp or screw one end then pull the other end around. the strips will slip into place then you clamp the other end. let the epoxy dry for a couple of days then ya ready to pull it off the mold. cut to the size ya want and away ya go. once you have the size cut sand up the epoxy and coat with wat every you preffere.

hope this is some help
brian

bootlegger

Re: tea tree

Postby bootlegger » 15 May 2010, 20:28

You can get the natural crook pieces from Trend Timbers in Mc Graths hill near Winsdor NSW. Ive also seen them at the working with wodd show which is on in a months time.

Return to “Wanted”