Repco Grey Head

Stuff for sale (CAWPBA members) and then some
Alan

Repco Grey Head

Postby Alan » 24 Oct 2010, 11:07

Anyone else thinking of selling the wife to get this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rare-Repco-Cross ... dZViewItem

:twisted:

This is how he found it,
Attachments
Repco Head.jpg
Repco Head.jpg (25 KiB) Viewed 4977 times

Dave88

Re: Repco Grey Head

Postby Dave88 » 24 Oct 2010, 16:37

I reckon it will sell for around the 5k mark (just under the cost of a reproduction one)
The originals are super cool, but of the ones I've looked at, the castings haven't been too flash

Hope it ends up on a midget or boat where it belongs!

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 24 Oct 2010, 21:51

5 grand?? do people want them that much???
how much extra do these heads do on a grey motor??? is it worth spending that cash on a grey???

i just bought some alloy heads for my holden stroker and the casting on them wasnt so great either. ive seen pro comp heads cast better and machined nicer then the name brand heads i bought.

i love old stuff but i dont know if i could justify the performance gain on the grey to by a head like the above. am i wrong???

brian

Alan

Postby Alan » 24 Oct 2010, 22:13

Brian,
It's not about the performance, it's about the vibe. If your historic car/boat had one of these then it will never be complete/restored till it goes back on.

Alan.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 24 Oct 2010, 22:38

Ive seen complete cross flow engines sell for around ten grand.
I can't bring myself to pay that for an engine for my hydro chinook.
A couple of weeks ago a grey magneto went for $1700.
Its madness what this stuff is bringing now.
The head listed is pretty useless unless you have the other special stuff to go with it like the rocker gear, pushrods , rocker cover and manifolds.
They were notorious to crack and corrosion.
There is a guy in wa who is trying to make them in alloy.

Brian re the procomp heads. They might look good but they are crap. The alloy has problems and the valve springs lose their tension.

I know of heaps of people who have had dramas with them. There was a website dedicated to rubbishing the stuff.

Dave88

Postby Dave88 » 24 Oct 2010, 23:03

How about this for shock value... There was a Waggot twin cam head advertised last year for 75k! Needless to say, it didn't sell...

That magneto is a good example of going over the top. Red motor magnetos struggle to fetch half that, and they can be modified pretty easily to suit a grey motor too

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 25 Oct 2010, 17:45

yeh i was thinking that after i rplied, thanks alan, im from the younger generation so dont understand the grey engine era.

dave, i know what ya mean about pro comp stuff though i have seen 4 sets of pro comp heads make over 600hp on holden 355's and not one set have had a drama. one engine in particular is making 687rwhp in my mates super sedan and he hasnt had problems either. i know the bolt on gear on the heads are rubbish and the heads i know or were purchased bare and built and cnc'd from there. so far they are doing alright. the thing i find funny is that allot of guys online know someone whose mate had some procomp stuff who stuffed up. i havnt heard of anyone who persoanlly had pro comp stuff that has died. ( except the dizzys cause ive seen one of them dead )

in saying that i didnt buy pro comps...lol ive got come racing alloys which i bought bare and are being cnc'd and then fitted with ferrea valves and isky springs so they should be good things.

anyway back to the topic. im sure that grey head would be awesome on the right engine in the right application so it will more then likely sell. persoanlly i'll stick to me lil 202 with red head.
brian

what ya

Return to “Do You Need This?”