bauchy

Re: 1960 seacraft clinker in geelong

Postby bauchy » 09 Apr 2010, 20:56

a clinker seacraft??????

didnt know they built them

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 11 Apr 2010, 20:22

Yeah i know, it's got me stuffed as well, but does look original and has the badge on the side. Anyone know this boat?

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 11 Apr 2010, 23:35

I recall seeing this for sale ages ago on the site, Greg may have details.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 12 Apr 2010, 08:22

I think Cool Runnings was originally owned by a brother and sister in Melbourne who had had it for many years before having it restored and then putting it up for sale.

I first saw the boat in Melbourne in 2005. The new owner fell in love with it when he saw it and went and bought it. He never used it and I don't think he ever intended to, he just had to have it. The boat was immaculate then, just having come out of its resto, but was taking up too much room and had to go. He was asking about $25,000 back then and while I agreed it was probably worth every penny, I told him he would struggle to get it. I advertised it on the website for some time, but it failed to sell.

A couple of years later I heard that it had gone to Geelong, but couldn't track it down. It came up for sale again in 2008 but didn't sell. They were looking for over $20,000.

The next time I saw it was at this year's Geelong Wooden Boat Festival. The boat is still in excellent condition. There is a small pic in this edition of the Hollow Log (mailed out a couple of days ago).

I don't know who built the boat, although I seem to recall it was rumoured to have been built by Peter Adcock (of Seacraft/Syndicate fame), but this was never confirmed. It has got a fairly well worked slant 6 Valiant in it that is as good a looker as the rest of the boat. The "Seacraft" signage wasn't on the boat when I first saw it.

This boat might be a bit over the top for many, but the photos don't do it justice. It's a classy boat.

Greg

Darren

Postby Darren » 13 Apr 2010, 09:33

Guys,
This is a case of a Seacraft badge finding its way on to a different brand/style of boat.
The only clinker Peter Adcock built was a fishing half cabin when
he was a very young man. All the rest ply non clinker.
This is not to discount the boat but it is not a Seacraft.
Darren

Return to “Do You Need This?”