Questions and issues!

Any questions? We will try and help.
Chivs

Questions and issues!

Postby Chivs » 25 Jan 2012, 18:54

Ahoy there!

As you may have picked up I am not too sure what I am doing mechanically speaking so here goes
1. I got a dog clutch but did not think about which end it should go, I got one that will go off the timing gear end, is that the norm, or is one better than the other? Or has advantages?

2. The motor I have was run off the fly wheel end, so I now need to run the alternator and water pump off the fly wheel end, any tricks or advice for the change over?

3. I also need a fly wheel, I am not sure what size I need but my rough measurement from center to starter motor is 162 mm, would that be right, it also would need six bolts and a dowel.

To be continued and thanks for any advice or help sorting out my issues,

Chris

screwit

Re: Questions and issues!

Postby screwit » 25 Jan 2012, 19:31

chris the best for you would be what you have got as it gets the motor lower and more to the rear

screwit

Postby screwit » 25 Jan 2012, 19:37

Two sizes- 11" and 10" clutch, later 350s ran 11" it has a diferent starter off set to the smaller one,They whent to the larger for easier to start when hot,
Ross

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 25 Jan 2012, 21:40

Hi Chris,
I'd reckon someone you know down there would be running a 350 with a dog clutch in their Ski boat so I'd suggest having a look at one and then you'll see how it's suppose to be.
As Ross said the Timing cover type allows you to get the motor in as low as possible although you may need a modified sump. There is a 2 or 3 row pulley that is made to suit the 6 bolts that hold the flywheel on, this will give you the drive for your pump and alternator.
Dave

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”