New Project

Any questions? We will try and help.
NPeth

New Project

Postby NPeth » 05 Jan 2012, 13:25

Hi Guys, with the Jet boat all finished I needed another project to keep me out of SWMBO's hair so I bought the Harris clinker that was on ebay of Paul. I have been having lots of fun pulling it apart but now I am stumped. To get the engine out I need to remove the prop shaft but it doesn't seem to want to leave the engine.! :evil: It had three bolts between the Grey and black bits which I removed, it had three bolts that went through to tighten the shaft which I have removed and still it holds on so tight that when I turn the prop it turns the engine. Should the shaft just pull out? Do the grey and black bits separate? What is supposed to happen here?
Attachments
Shaft 2.jpg
Shaft 2.jpg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 5012 times

Doc

Re: New Project

Postby Doc » 05 Jan 2012, 17:45

The Black coupling motor side, will have a centre bolt counter sunked. Prop side coupling face will be stepped for alignment. If the motor has moved slightly she will be looked in the step. Lift motor slightly to take weight away from fitting. With a thin kitchen knife between the couplings, hit back edge of blade to seperate.
Doc.

Stu

Postby Stu » 05 Jan 2012, 19:07

If you have not already done it, try spraying a bit of WD40 on there too because the coupling is most probably rusted on the joining surfaces.

What ever you do dont use the wifes favourite knife!!!!

Tap lightly on the coupling with a nylon hammer too that sometimes helps to release the two parts.

Stu

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 05 Jan 2012, 23:35

Thanks Guys
At least I know that they should come apart. WD40'd, tapped, broken knife and still they remain one piece......I'd be patient about this but I don't have the time. :( Hopefully tomorrow after a soak they will be parted.

screwit

Postby screwit » 05 Jan 2012, 23:43

May need a slide hamer on the end of the prop shaft to release it
Ross

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 06 Jan 2012, 14:37

Eureka!!!! Soaked over night the used a slightly sharpened brick bolster to tap on the join, nothing, nothing, nothing and then it just fell apart!! Thanks for the advice and well done Ross you found a tool I don't have , now I need to buy a slide hammer :lol:

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”