Removing weathering in timber

Any questions? We will try and help.
Shifty

Removing weathering in timber

Postby Shifty » 05 Nov 2011, 12:40

Hi guys, I'm giving my Seacraft a makeover as it was pretty down, the paint was very thin, (clear varnish) and there is some blackening in the timber on the ply transom and the meranti gunnels, any tricks for removing this or masking it in some way? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Troy

bauchy

Re: Removing weathering in timber

Postby bauchy » 05 Nov 2011, 13:02

Try reviva deck which bunnings sell. Its designed to remove weathering on decking befor u coat with move clear or oil. Try on a test section first id suggest

Shifty

Postby Shifty » 05 Nov 2011, 13:24

Thanks mate, any idea if it leaves a residue? (oil based) got a few oil stains as well which I'm doing the old fashion way with a heat gun unless there's any better suggestions? Cheers

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 05 Nov 2011, 21:30

nah it just drys and dissapears. we use it on decks outside that are workn but not bad enough to strip the coating off. so far we have coated over it and not had any dramas. please try on a small section first so you avoid any issues.

sorry i cant help ya with the oil sections.

brian

screwit

Postby screwit » 23 Mar 2012, 21:17

Have been told that nappysan works on old timber but havnt tried it as yet
any one used it?

Shifty

Postby Shifty » 24 Mar 2012, 14:23

I tried deck clean although most products have a color in them, I used household bleach, it has to be neutralized with a lot if water though when finished or it will continue to work and bleach the timber white, oil I ended up using a heat gun, bubble the oil to the surface and continuously wipe with a metho soaked rag, it takes a long time but works, just be careful with the heat or you can burn the timber

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”