Transom info needed

Any questions? We will try and help.
rayza1

Transom info needed

Postby rayza1 » 08 Jul 2011, 03:17

Hi guys, this should freak Chivs out, this posting is at 3 am !! Have just finished some deep sewer work and can't sleep. I removed the transom from Taurus the other day, is it common for it to have framework covered with ply? I thought they were mostly solid timber? Also the 2 bottom planks are extended beyond the transom to form the rudder support, similar to the one thats for sale on the bulleton board, does any of this give a clue to its maker? Also deck frame work is mostly 3/4" quad, can't say i've seen that before either along with the steering angled towards the centre it's a very stange beast indeed. Will post some pics when i get a chance, cheers all. I think i can sleep now!! Ray

Doc

Re: Transom info needed

Postby Doc » 08 Jul 2011, 06:35

Hi Ray,
Taurus , the 2 planks extended to form the cav plate was normal for it's period . In the 50's - 60's the boats' length was measured to the end of cav plate as these planks were fixed. When add on cav plates were fitted ,boat was measured to transom. Just remember over the years some of these planks were cut off through damage and replaced with alloy or timber ply cav plates. The steering wheel facing towards the centre suggests the boat was used or made for racing, to stop the boat leaning to the side with the weight of the driver Taurus is narrow beam. Wider boats the jockey in the back would position himself left or right to keep the boat level. The transom light weight for racing. Remember fast boats are light and high reving , thats why many were fitted with straight 6 motors.
Doc.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”