Stripping Paint

Any questions? We will try and help.
propellerhead

Stripping Paint

Postby propellerhead » 13 Apr 2009, 16:02

Hi all. Just about to start stripping & sanding the clinker hull on my boat in the next few months.

Not looking forward to getting a scraper in between those ribs! There's gotta be a better way and I'm sure there is. I completed a Hartley a year ago & the nice wide spaces between frames compared to ribs was easy. I found Citristrip fantastic on anything except epoxy - heatgun or Methylene Chloride gel (yuk) is the only stuff that worked there.

I've noticed in the car magazines the new soda stripping technology. Also using the walnut husks though a sandblaster. Has anyone had any experience with these techniques on timber? Especially soft stuff like Meranti?

Thanks!

bootlegger

Re: Stripping Paint

Postby bootlegger » 13 Apr 2009, 19:03

Hi Prophead. Sorry to tell you this but there is no easy way to do what you want to do. I havent tried soda blasting. They say they can strip wood but dont know anyone who has done it. Just do a bit at a time. Sooner or later you will get there. Dave

propellerhead

Postby propellerhead » 13 Apr 2009, 22:05

DOH! I guess I knew that was going to be the answer. Slow n steady... I gotta say that the last resto did help me thru some tough times. Something about that repetitive scraping & sanding - primal I guess. Cheers Dave! Nick.

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 14 Apr 2009, 10:07

Don't discount the soda blasting option. While no-one that we know has used it yet, when the time comes for me to do Torea I will be getting a trial done to see how it goes. Provided that it is not too harsh on timber, I can think of no easier, quicker or more effective way of doing the inside of a clinker hull.

Bob

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 14 Apr 2009, 10:08

Don't discount the soda blasting option. While no-one that we know has used it yet, when the time comes for me to do Torea I will be getting a trial done to see how it goes. Provided that it is not too harsh on timber, I can think of no easier, quicker or more effective way of doing the inside of a clinker hull.

Bob

propellerhead

Postby propellerhead » 14 Apr 2009, 21:25

Would be great to hear how that goes! Will keep an ear out. Cheers. Nick.

Batesy

Postby Batesy » 16 Apr 2009, 22:48

I'm close to trying Soda Blast. There is a guy here in Emerald that just set up to do it. He said about $100 per foot to do inside and out, so 15 foot = $1500.
In the next month I will be ready to give him a try. Will let you know how it goes. I'm only going to do the inside to keep the cost down.

Darren

Postby Darren » 17 Apr 2009, 10:16

The heatgun/scraper method is the only one that has worked for me.
It is not a pleasant job I agree.
The only sobering thought about soda blasting, is that we are dealing
with a natural product, it has different densities from one end of a plank
to another especially with deck ply/veneer.
So what works at removing paint in one area is damaging the material in another.
Darren

Nick

Postby Nick » 18 Apr 2009, 08:01

$100 a foot
Soda blasting gear isnt that expensive to buy
For $1500 I would have thought you could buy a complete setup for home use
Presuming of course you have the space for it

Batesy

Postby Batesy » 19 Apr 2009, 21:50

Don't forget you would need a big compressor - somewhere from 100 -200 CFM