Misfit Boat restoration

Any questions? We will try and help.
chuckie

Misfit Boat restoration

Postby chuckie » 19 May 2011, 22:21

Hello.
I’m new to this forum, I’ve got a ply clinker ski/race boat called Misfit that I’m restoring, I purchased the boat about 7 years ago and have finally got some time to work on it now, the boat came with a 245 hemi motor that has seen better days and doesn’t really fit the boat as it is too high and long, it would have had a V8 of some sort in it originally. I have an early 289 Windsor set aside for the old girl when I have the hull ready. I will post some pictures of misfit and some descriptions as the restoration gets along. I am not sure of the make of the boat and would love someone to enlighten me of what make it is and some history of the old girl. I live in Adelaide and that’s where I purchased the boat, its Just under 17 ft now, but will be 5inches shorter when I replace the transom and cut back the old daggy planks.It was also a twin cockpit originally as some of the old timber work is still under the deck sides.
Cheers,
Attachments
Pic7.jpg
Pic7.jpg (90.08 KiB) Viewed 7876 times
Pic6.jpg
Pic6.jpg (75.12 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
Pic3.jpg
Pic3.jpg (95.47 KiB) Viewed 7869 times
Pic1.jpg
Pic1.jpg (68.77 KiB) Viewed 7861 times

rayza1

Re: Misfit Boat restoration

Postby rayza1 » 20 May 2011, 10:39

Welcome to the board, there will be someone here that will be able to ID your boat. Don't think there's one thats been made that someone doesn't know about. If you need help with anything this is the best source of info you could hope for. Good luck with it, post heaps of pics of your progress. Ray

chuckie

Postby chuckie » 20 May 2011, 14:10

Cheers Ray,
Thanks for the reply, the story behind misft is an interesting one, I purchased the boat about 7 years ago with all intension of restoring it, then I got sidetracked restoring a 1938 Morris 8, then a 1969 ford Capri, both not finished yet, and misfit got moved to a relatives backyard for storage and basically forgotten about. Out in the weather misft deteriorated further to a point that I was going to just take her down the dump. When the relative informed me they were thinking about selling the house that misfit was stored at I made the decision to take misfit to my shack up the Murray River and turn her into a pot plant in the garden. So I towed her home to tidy her up a bit before the trip up the shack to push her off the trailer into the garden. As I started working on her to get ready for a quick paint job something came over me and I made the decision to bring Misfit back to life. One of the main reasons for changing my mind to restore her was everyone telling me it’s too far gone and will never go again. The problem was the more I started stripping off old fibreglass and paint the worse things got, to a point that I thought maybe this thing will only be a pot plant, but I am persisting with her as I haven’t got the heart to be the one that ends her life forever turning her into a pot plant.
Craig.
Attachments
pic14.jpg
pic14.jpg (79.07 KiB) Viewed 7770 times
pic15.jpg
pic15.jpg (99.5 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
pic16.jpg
Dont look too bad??
pic16.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 7761 times
pic17.jpg
Not Looking Good
pic17.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
pic18.jpg
Clean up with router and timber is still good under rotten stuff
pic18.jpg (84.39 KiB) Viewed 7752 times
pic19.jpg
Machine up new piece of timber, make up some bolts with stainless plates under the heads to clamp new piece in
pic19.jpg (91.47 KiB) Viewed 7753 times
pic20.jpg
Epoxy glue mix and new piece fits in nice
pic20.jpg (95.31 KiB) Viewed 7760 times
pic21.jpg
at least the bottom is looking better
pic21.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 7752 times

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 20 May 2011, 16:32

G'day Craig and welcome to the Board.

First, congratulations on your determination in saving another woodie. You have certainly got your work cut out for you, but they are all repairable (depending on you budget and determination) and you are well on the way.

I don't recognise the boat's name, but I will stick my neck out here at the risk of getting my head knocked off and say the hull has a "Lewis" look about it. Does the boat have any other identifiers on it, like old reg (if that's not its original reg), signs of a club flag painted on the hull, etc. Is the previous owner/s still contactable for you to get any previous history from?

Cheers

Greg

chuckie

Postby chuckie » 20 May 2011, 22:23

Hi Greg.
No I cant find any other types of identity on the boat, other than the current rego no. and name.
The previous owner could not give me any other info on the boat also, As I get to sanding the rest of the hull I will definatly keep an open for numbers or names under the old paint.
Cheers,
Craig.

chuckie

Postby chuckie » 22 May 2011, 22:25

Hi everyone.

Here is a picture of a boat I seen on Ebay in Adelaide a few years ago, looks similar to my misfit, has a few different features like external rudder where misfit has internal and dash is different, but does have similar lines. This boat has a chrome badge on transom, BRUMBY, don’t know if this is a boat name or a manufactures name, does anyone know about this boat or type of boat.

Cheers.
Craig
Attachments
86_3.jpg
86_3.jpg (52.52 KiB) Viewed 7598 times
ec_3.jpg
ec_3.jpg (51.3 KiB) Viewed 7593 times
47_3.jpg
47_3.jpg (49.53 KiB) Viewed 7588 times

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 22 May 2011, 22:29

hi craig

welcome aboard. looks like a good project. should be a good one when its done. if you need a hand with it give greg a ring and he will be more then happy to get his hands dirty and do some sanding for you :P

from what i can see it looks like you are well on the way with the repairs and it doesnt look quiet so bad to me. certainly a project worth finishing.

keep the pics coming and us up to date on how you are traveling. dont be scared to ask questions and im sure you will get some good answers.

brian

chuckie

Postby chuckie » 22 May 2011, 22:48

Thanks Brian.

My plan is to epoxy fibreglass the first 2 planks either side of the keel to strengthen the hull, I see a few posts on other forums about the dislike of fibreglasing wooden boats. I can understand not wanting to glass a wooden boat in good condition, but this old girl has had a hard life. Just wondering what your and other forum members thoughts are?

Cheers.
Craig.

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 24 May 2011, 17:33

Hi Craig
Brumby boats where built in Adelaide there is 2 other boats that i know of in Adelaide and as far as i know the boats where all clinker ply.
Paul

chuckie

Postby chuckie » 24 May 2011, 17:55

Hi Paul
Thanks for the reply, do you know if the Brumby’s were made with an inboard rudder setup also? And do you think misft could be a Brumby looking at the pictures I posted and do you have anymore info on the Brumby?
Cheers.
Craig

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”