Savage Vendetta - 60's clinker, looking for original pics.

Any questions? We will try and help.
mikey123

Savage Vendetta - 60's clinker, looking for original pics.

Postby mikey123 » 09 Mar 2011, 11:30

Hi everyone
I bought a 60's plywood clinker last year. I'm told it is a Savage 'Vendetta'. I'm sure some of you would have seen it for sale on Ebay ?
Anyway, I've been desmantling it, and I'm discovering that it probably isnt in it original form. ie. currently there is a standalone timber hood for the inboard, and from the structure of the deck, it appears as though originally the deck went fully over the inboard, with a bench seat cockpit at the rear. Does that make sense ?
I've been hunting for any pictures of what a Savage Vendetta would have looked like straight out of the factory. If anyone has any info that would help, that would be really appreciated.
thanks
Mike
ps...i'm enjoying looking at pictures of everyone else's boats on this forum. They are awesome.
Attachments
SavageVendetta_4_small.JPG
SavageVendetta_4_small.JPG (62.91 KiB) Viewed 20992 times
SavageVendetta_3_small.JPG
SavageVendetta_3_small.JPG (64.84 KiB) Viewed 20969 times
SavageVendetta_2_small.JPG
SavageVendetta_2_small.JPG (64.09 KiB) Viewed 20965 times

antique-boatique

Re: Savage Vendetta - 60's clinker, looking for original pics.

Postby antique-boatique » 09 Mar 2011, 13:43

A wooden clinker jet boat !!!!!!!! I am so jealous

NickPeth

Postby NickPeth » 09 Mar 2011, 14:28

Looks like it will be a great thing. Very envious of the reversing bucket on your jet- mine doesn't have nay such luxuries. What power unit does it run?
Nick

Alan

Postby Alan » 09 Mar 2011, 14:35

Great project,
have you got any more pics of the transom from the inside?
Alan.

mikey123

Postby mikey123 » 09 Mar 2011, 18:34

Hi guys
Those photos were taken just after I got the boat home. I've done a fait bit of work on it since then.
Here are some more photos.
Attachments
SavageVendetta_10_small.JPG
Alan, the inside of the transom as requested.
SavageVendetta_10_small.JPG (85.58 KiB) Viewed 20885 times
SavageVendetta_8_small.JPG
My dad and My father-in-law fixing the holden 308, which drives the Hamilton colorade 2 stage jet. The motor had been rebuilt years ago, and only used for one hour. However, one hour is long enough to fill the water gallerys with slime. Was full of rust, and took gaskets, a few new parts, and a lot of work. It's really clever how the jet is used to pump water through the engine.
SavageVendetta_8_small.JPG (95.63 KiB) Viewed 20867 times
SavageVendetta_6_small.JPG
there were some previous repairs which had mild steel screws. these were rotton and had to be replaced
SavageVendetta_6_small.JPG (61.97 KiB) Viewed 20854 times
SavageVendetta_5_small.JPG
Looks like this corner had been crunched at some stage in the past. It was repaired using mild steel screws, and the board was rotten.
SavageVendetta_5_small.JPG (61.69 KiB) Viewed 20848 times
SavageVendetta_9_small.jpg
joint filleted with sikaflex
SavageVendetta_9_small.jpg (89.21 KiB) Viewed 20840 times
SavageVendetta_11_small.JPG
prekote
SavageVendetta_11_small.JPG (95.01 KiB) Viewed 20830 times
SavageVendetta_7_small.JPG
toplac
SavageVendetta_7_small.JPG (68.42 KiB) Viewed 20837 times

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 09 Mar 2011, 19:00

Mike

Your boat could well have started life as a twin cockpit. Many were converted to walkabouts to make them a little more user friendly as a ski boat later in their careers.

Has the boat always had the jet? May be it originally had a prop and the modifications needed for the jet unit dictated the modification to a walkabout.

Greg

mikey123

Postby mikey123 » 09 Mar 2011, 19:32

thanks for the reply Greg

Yes, it definitely had a Prop originally. The previous owners told me that, and there is a very large piece of thick broom handle sticking out of the floor of the boat as evidence, pluging up the hole where the prop went through. Looks funny, but I'll leave it there for laughs, and evidence of the history.
The more I look at it, the more I think it was a twin cockpit, but I'd love to find someone with an original photo of a similar boat, to see exacly how it looked.
I think I'll go ahead and put the full deck over the motor, unless someone can show me it should be otherwise in the near future.
thanks
Mike

ps....some of my photos are not displaying on my screen. Can you guys see them all ? or have I made a mistake uploading them ?

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 09 Mar 2011, 20:22

Mike

I am seeing the pics, but sometimes you need to do a refresh to drive them in. Try to keep the size down a bit in both dimensions and bytes, this will alow quicker loading. Around 800 pxls wide seems to put up a reasonable pic.

Greg

Alan

Postby Alan » 09 Mar 2011, 21:02

Thanks Mike,
I see you've been busy, there sure looks like they did a lot of work to put in the jet. Is there glass on the outside as well as the inside? I always worry about the wood in the middle if it gets wet. I think they look better with the full deck over the engine, I think the more wood the better.

Gotta love the engine stand, that's restoration in the way many of these boats were built. Keep the pics coming.
Alan.

mikey123

Postby mikey123 » 11 Apr 2012, 16:41

Hi all

I've been reading about the classic power boat 'spectacular' down at Goolwa this coming weekend, and wishing I had my old clinker ready to go down there, but it's still a long way from that unfortunately. I'll definitely head down there on Sunday for a look around.

I thought I'd upload some more recent pics of where my boat is at now, although not a heck of a lot different to my last post 12 months ago ! hehe. it's a bit of a money pit !.

It might take me a few shots to remember how to upload the photos !.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”