Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Re: Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Postby screwit » 12 Mar 2012, 20:55

Nick have you got a y/terra head or a hottie.
Mine has a 149 head on a 186 and Im told this is faily high comp and I have to use high occtain or it pings badly, so may- be the comp is up on the motor.
Ross

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 12 Mar 2012, 21:28

Hi Ross, the motor is running a stage 3 yella terror head- I am running 98 premium in the motor and when the timing is right it is running smoothly. The pining only happened when the timing was retarded too far.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 12 Mar 2012, 22:16

Hey Nick, i'm running twin stommies on mine and apart from looking ok, on hindsight i'd go for a 350 holley or something similar.
I've had more than my fair share of heartache getting throttle linkages working smoothly and carbies balanced. Ray

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 13 Mar 2012, 19:12

Hey Ray, perhaps we should have a drag race to see if the twin strombergs are worth the effort :D . A 350 holley would be nice, but it won't fit on the manifold. I have seen some manifolds that look like they might take the holley, but I think they are for blue and black motors which have a different head/ exhaust set up. Happy to be corrected on this

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 13 Mar 2012, 20:33

Hae you thought about either a strombrg WW which is the two barrel downdraft carry off the LC GTR Torana or for that matter the downdraft Weber that was fitted to the XF falcon engine (I think). Either will be better flow than the normal Stromberg carby.

Cheers
Peter

Ricshaw

Postby Ricshaw » 14 Mar 2012, 10:54

Hey Nick ,
sounds like your having lots of fun.....
Normally pinging is associated with the timing too far advanced ,
and it only needs to be a poofteenth too far to do it ,
so I would check the direction of rotation of the dizzy if you think that
you are retarding it to ping . Retarding it you will loose lots of power as you are stateing .
Although there will be cries of woe , some people feel that a Holley 350 can be too
much carby on a boat motor and that a 2 barrel Stromberg is a better option.
Anyway.... continue with your enjoyment.
Ric...
poo it rains alot up here !!!!

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 14 Mar 2012, 11:28

Id steer clear of a 350 holley. If you can get a manifold run a 465 as the primarys are smaller but ull have the secondarys to get it rockn. I had a few 350s on boats and a 465 on my last. The 465 was far better on fuel and easier to drive. Just wat i think anywY

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 14 Mar 2012, 22:40

here is a stromberg 2 barrel carby that may suit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Fully ... 3a71a60df3
Its off a 253 V8 so should have the flow that you need.
there are also plenty of weber downdraft carbies that would suit, both new and reco, on evil bay
cheers
peter

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 02 Jul 2012, 18:57

Thank god for holidays. I finally had time to get into the shed and fit up a set of twin strombergs. They really look the business and allowed me to fit extra chrome so I was sure it would fly :lol: .Things didn't go as smoothly as hoped as the boat just refused to start. Finally figured out that the fuel pump had given up the ghost and so no fuel was getting to the carbs. Once an electric pump was jury rigged up she fired up and sounded great. The engine seemed to rev much better than before. The linkages didn't work to well either so I will need to sort them out and replace the fuel pump. Can't wait to give it a run on the water!

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 02 Sep 2012, 20:20

Well I took Suffrajet out for a bit of a test at Cairn Curran on Saturday. What a fantastic day, still as can be and the water was like glass. It took a while but eventually she fired up and did several runs. So I have fitted a bigger engine, with a yella terra head and now twin carbies and, while it all looks way cooler, it still doesn't seem to go any faster. I took a good look at it and I noticed two important problems. One, the engine is missing two cylinders and two, it says Holden on the side of it. Can't think how I missed these problems before. :lol: It hurts but I will have to accept that I own a slow boat! Top day though and a cleansing ale watching the sun set over the lake saw it finish perfectly.
Now back to the shed to fit Grumpy with a nice V8

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”