Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Re: Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Postby screwit » 19 Feb 2012, 18:56

Thats great Nick, that you have solved the problem,
Hope to catch up on the lake one day soon. the lake would have been good. To day I went to Shepparton to the opening of a car museum , this could be some where to store some vintage boats for the winter, They are looking at 3or 6 months for max for good turn over for cars to keep it interesting.
Ross

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 19 Feb 2012, 20:03

Hey Nick, glad to have helped, good that you've got your head around it ! It's great when things finally click. cheers mate.

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 26 Feb 2012, 18:28

8-) GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :cry: :cry: Perhaps I should move this to the :cry: do you need this section. Free to good home- wooden jet boat. :cry:

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 26 Feb 2012, 19:52

That doesnt sound good.

screwit

Postby screwit » 28 Feb 2012, 07:53

Whats happened now Nic, is it the same problem again ?
Ross

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 28 Feb 2012, 20:37

After some rest I can talk about it. I tried to use the boat to take the family skiing and it just didn't perform. Problems. When i tested it the weekend before I left the engine cover off to check leaks temp etc, when using it with the family the cover was on so the throttle linkage compressed one of the water pipes against the cover, it stuck together causing the hose to the sump to burst under the pressure. With no water the motor got very hot indeed.
Hose re routed and burst hose replace and back out we went. The boat has speed, but no grunt. It struggled to pull a knee board or tube and with five people on board couldn't get on the plane. Go back to two people on board and it goes well.
Then number one son took the boat out, took off at full noise with the boat grounded and pumped sand through the jet and locked the cooling pipe in the sump.
Scratch one jet boat for the weekend. Meanwhile my mates fiberglass outboard performs perfectly.....

Cooling system is now flushed and working and I am looking to put twin carbs onto the motor and find someone to look at the ignition advance. Surely a 186 with yella terra head should pull two knee boarders???

screwit

Postby screwit » 28 Feb 2012, 21:17

Jet boats as far as i know do not have the pull a prop has
Ross

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 29 Feb 2012, 19:45

Hi Ross, I guess the real frustration is that it doesn't have the pull that it used to have before the new hot motor was installed. Can't even flip my daughter off the tube at the moment !!

hookster

Postby hookster » 03 Mar 2012, 08:14

:P Hey Nick thanks for all your honest updates...you make every other woodie owner feel pretty damn happy with their lot :lol:

A six pack of Jim Beam cans and a packet of Port Royal is what you need :P

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 11 Mar 2012, 21:40

A good day out at the lake!!! I changed the carby on the boat to a slightly larger one and went out to have a fiddle. The carby semed to be an improvement but the punch still wasn't there. Spent about an hour just messing around with adjusting the timing out on the water and found that careful adjustment saw the return of the grunt. It was interesting though, from the nice setting to pinging was a poofteenth, advancing it anymore and the boat lost its bounce. In the end though the boat was back drifting nicely under power, idling sweetly and jumping out of the water when tramped.
I haven't tried a skier yet, but I am pretty confident that it will be up to the job. I am still looking for twin strombergs though as the engine still feels like it has more to give.
Thanks to all for their advice and hope to join you all on the water soon
Regards
Nick

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”