Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Re: Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Postby screwit » 26 Jan 2012, 21:56

Ray, itis possible that water under presure could go up an open valve past the valve and in to the rocker cover but again the cylnder would be full of water and hydrolic stoping it from turning or if it fired strait a way- bend a rod!!!!!!

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 27 Jan 2012, 07:43

Ross I suspect that you are right about this, like you I cant really see how water could make its way into the oil , but I hope that we are wrong! After Yarrawonga I had water in the oil and assumed that it was a blown head gasket. I replaced that motor with another one that had been rebuilt by a mechanic friend 10 years ago and then left in the shed because the project that it was meant for never happened. On to that motor went my manifold and sump. It cant be water from the sump because I had the hose connected upstream of the sump so no water was flowing through it at the time, but water was pouring out of the top of the manifold and flowing over the block. I planned to replace the manifold, change the oil and filter and then run the motor to see what happens. If the new motor is stuffed then I wont be boating anymore this season :cry: :cry:
Regards
Nick

screwit

Postby screwit » 27 Jan 2012, 07:51

Nick retention thr head just encase the gasket is weeping
Ross

Doc

Postby Doc » 27 Jan 2012, 08:39

Hi Nick,
Check your spark plugs if you find one super clean it usually suggests water leaking into that chamber.
Doc.

hookster

Postby hookster » 03 Feb 2012, 12:39

Nick just leave it for a day or two and do some more sanding on Grumpy. When you get back to Suffrajet it might have fixed itself. If all else fails, find a quiet corner in the shed, sit down and rock gently back and forth (you can even suck your thumb while doing this) :(

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 03 Feb 2012, 18:28

That's just what I have been doing Hookster. Just thought I would leave it a little longer so that she can fill herself up with petrol as well. New exhaust was supposed to be finished today so that I could try her out this weekend but when I went to pick the boat up it was still in bits..... :cry: :cry: . Long term weather forcast raining and blowing a gale next weekend. Still at least I get to mow the lawns :roll:
Might get to check out Brian's clinker if he take it out though :)

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 04 Feb 2012, 23:10

turns out my fuel pump has locked itself up so hopefully i can get a new one tommorow morning, ill let ya know if i take it out

tommo

Postby tommo » 04 Feb 2012, 23:43

Ahoy Bloke
Something small motors taught me ALWAYS drain your fuel today's fuel (if You can call it that) you can bet it will cause problems if you do not have a modern car (cast block)A lot of carby componets ars plastic these days and todays fuel will eat it

Moral of Story: if she's in the shed drain the fuel out of the carb save them caskets cheers
Tommo

hookster

Postby hookster » 05 Feb 2012, 07:59

And that's exactly why you shouldn't drink Merlott out of plastic wine glasses Tommo. Keep draining them casks mate :lol: ;) :P

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 19 Feb 2012, 17:10

Well at last I can answer some questions as I finally got to take the boat out. Firstly even though it is impossible the water must have gotten into the oil through the exhaust manifold. I took it around lake eppalock today and the oil looks as clean as a whistle.
Thank you so much for the manifold Ray!
So new "hot" engine installed how did it go. Well the new exhaust is much louder, probably because it dosen't have a deep bend in it to muffle the sound with water, but overall the boat was very dissapointing. It just didn't seem to have any get up and go and really didn't seem to go as fast as she used to.
Then she stalled and wouldn't start. I went back to play with the carby and next thing I knew I nearly fell out the back of the boat as it took off like a cut cat! It seems that I was only getting about a third throtle! Working the throttle directly she is noticable faster and more importantly takes of much quicker than she used to. Some work on the linkages, a decent tune and I think she will be great. Then over winter perhaps twin carbs... or a turbo!
Thanks to all for their advice and help and hope to see you all on the water soon.
Nick

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”