Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Any questions? We will try and help.
NickPeth

Re: Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Postby NickPeth » 11 May 2011, 19:47

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately my weekend boss has had a long list of jobs that I had neglected over the summer that I have been working through- then I can get onto the boat! I am hopeful that I can get the impeller repaired so she will live again. I have also located another jet cheaply, but it is slightly different so installing it could be a big job. I need to pull the engine out for a sump repair and repaint the bottom of the boat so it should be a good time in the shed this winter.
Regards
Nick

NickPeth

Postby NickPeth » 01 Jul 2011, 17:32

Hi All,
I set to work on pulling the Jet apart today and had no success. After unbolting everything all the parts remain firmly together because they were coated in silicon before being joined! Removing the jet from the boat seems impossible too. It must pull out through the stern but seems too wide on the inside of the boat, and you can't get to half the bolts to undo them...Arrrrg :( :(
Anyway I thought I would move on to what I can do and get some paint for the hull. Any advice on where to buy marine paint in Bendigo or Melbourne and what I should use to fill the chips and scrapes?
Nick

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 21 Jan 2012, 21:34

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGG :evil: :evil:
Spent all day today changing the motor in Suffrajet putting in a nice 192 with Yella terra heads because it seemed that the old engine had done a head gasket at Yarrawonga. ( The sump was full of mayonnaise when I went to check the oil the next day) New motor in, hose hooked up and timing set. I check the oil and it is like mayonnaise :evil:
Now the water was not getting in through a leak in the sump as the hose was connected engine side of this. The home modified exhaust manifold was pretty shagged, the divider was corroded away completely between number two and three exhaust ports. I am wondering if it would be possible for water to be getting in to the oil via the exhaust because of this??????
I am now looking for a new maifold.
Does anyone have a marine manifold for a red motor Holden that doesn't have the angled carby ofset for a motor driving of the front or a standard Holden exhaust manifold.
Regards
Nick

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 22 Jan 2012, 18:21

Hi Nick pretty I have one here, will add some piccies. cheers Ray
Attachments
mail.google.com.jpeg
mail.google.com.jpeg (4.75 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
2012-01-22 17.48.39.jpg
2012-01-22 17.48.39.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 7242 times

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 22 Jan 2012, 21:09

Thanks Ray, that Looks like just what I am after. If you are interested in selling it please call me on 0354232335 or send me your number and I will call you.
Regards
Nick

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 22 Jan 2012, 21:42

Hi Nick, call me tomorrow on 0448506291, its surplus to needs. I think from memory i payed $40 for it so if thats ok its yours. cheers ray

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 26 Jan 2012, 10:47

Hi Ray,
Thanks so much for the manifold. I tested it with a hose and no leaks were apparent so it is all fitted up and ready to go. Just waiting on having a new exhaust made up to fit the different manifold and then I can test it to see if that is the source of the water getting into the oil. Only issues now are that the throttle linkage is to short to reach with the higher manifold and the engine cover no longer fits because the carbiie is higher. Who was it said that life wasn't meant to be easy. Thanks again for your help and support.
Nick

screwit

Postby screwit » 26 Jan 2012, 11:51

Nick there is no conextion to the oil though the manifold

I think you have another problem, head g- or a crack or do you have a water cooled sump it may have a leak
ROss

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 26 Jan 2012, 20:55

Hey Ross, is it possible for water to leak into the inlet ports and then be forced past the rings when the motor is running? Recon thats what happened to my motor when i first started it. It was hooked up to a garden hose which was turned on before the engine was running and i later found out my manifold had more internal leaks than a strainer. Possible??

screwit

Postby screwit » 26 Jan 2012, 21:42

Engine would lock up on cranking or if it was a very small leak the motor would miss at first and may be clear up as it warmed up but it would have to be small, water could get past the rings but they would have to be buggered and sit there for a while be for you started it, the usual thing that hapens is you bend a rod!!

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”