Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Any questions? We will try and help.
NickPeth

Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Postby NickPeth » 31 Jan 2011, 22:35

Hi Guys, two months ago I was at Lake Eppalock, suddenly and delightfully full of water and decided that I needed a boat. After coming across your group I realised that I needed a classic wooden boat. Long stroy short I have just bought a boat from Mt Gambier of Ebay. It is a bond wood construction fitted with a Holden 186. Drive is through a MEC jet made in Melbourne.After spending last Weekend giving the Motor a tune I hope to put it in the water this Weekend for the first time in many years. Any advice or tips- things to look out for would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows about the boat ( Apparently one of five made in Mt Gambier) I would like to know who built it.
Regards Nick
Attachments
Boat 1.jpg
Boat 1.jpg (66.48 KiB) Viewed 9753 times

viteau

Re: Jet Boat from Mt Gambier

Postby viteau » 01 Feb 2011, 11:39

G'day Peter
Glad to here that you have saved another woody. I lived in Millicent and my boat was made in Mount Gambier as well but mine is a Len Hedges Ski Hire and was built from plans which I still have by Peter Gardner who went on to make a few wooden tenders and cray boats before building houses full time.
Cheers Chris

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 01 Feb 2011, 17:32

Welcome aboard Nick, good to see another bondwood in the club. Let us know how she goes, i've got a 186 bondwood as well but mine's prop driven will be good to get a comparison. cheers Ray

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 01 Feb 2011, 17:40

G'day Nick

Congratulations on your new toy and something a bit unusual at that, with a jet unit.

Probably the first thing I would do is put a few inches of water in the boat and see if anything comes out.

Greg

NickPeth

Postby NickPeth » 01 Feb 2011, 20:13

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I put a couple of inches of water in the bottom of the boat and nothing came out so that is encouraging. The engine starts beautifully so hopefully all will go well this weekend and I can post a picture of her on the water. She doesn't have a name so any ideas on what a wooden jet boat should be called?
Regards
Nick

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 01 Feb 2011, 21:20

Nick
I think "The Jet" has been taken.
Greg

NickPeth

Postby NickPeth » 05 Feb 2011, 19:36

Hi
I Took the boat out for a quick spin on Lake Eppalock. Went for a short blast but soon had to come in because the temperature gauge went off the dial. Stopped and checked the engine, which really didn't seem hot to the touch at all. Restarted the boat and the gauge went down to about 160 F ( Maybe three minutes after stopping) A quick run out again saw the gauge climb again so I pulled the boat out. Water was flowing out the exhaust so I am wondering if I have an overheating boat, or a faulty gauge. Any thoughts? Is there something I should use to flush the cooling system. Also would the boat be running a thermostat that might be faulty? Any advice greatly welcomed as I know nothing about boats.
Regards
Nick

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 05 Feb 2011, 21:39

What type of cooling system does it have? Does the water from thr river/lake flow through the engine, or does it run through a heat exchanger and the engine cooled by a "closed system"? In either case, if the engine feels cool, but the gauge indicates "hot" it might be worthwhile trying out another gauge and sender (if gauges are electric)

NickPeth

Postby NickPeth » 05 Feb 2011, 21:55

Hi,
The system is an open one using water from the lake. It is pumped up from the jet, through the sump and then into the engine before exiting through the exhaust.
Regards
Nick

Alan

Postby Alan » 05 Feb 2011, 23:57

Hi Nick,
and welcome, there won't be a thermostat as such, but some times there is a tap or valve on the outlet on the head before the water goes into the exhaust outlet to adjust the flow/temp. If The engine is not hot and there is a reasonable amount of water coming out of the exhaust without a large amount of accompanying steam, try another gauge. But, how did the rest of the boat go and how was the lake? we're hoping to have a wet-together soon up there, would be good to get a report.

Alan.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”