60'-70's era wooden boat project, damaged need a repairer??

Any questions? We will try and help.
woodbplaya

60'-70's era wooden boat project, damaged need a repairer??

Postby woodbplaya » 10 Jan 2011, 08:55

Hi everyone i have just purchased a 60's/70's era wooden ski boat, unfortunately i have no idea what the make of the boat is, the boat is approx 15 feet long, has a 283 inboard chev motor. ive looked for a build plate and cannot find anything. the guy before me had repainted it the bottom was done correctly, but he removed the rego numbers and has to find the paperwork for them, the top however was painted in blue non slip factory floor paint! only picked the boat up last night, wasting no time! myself, partner and another couple with the help of mates dad got stuck into it at 7am Yesterday morning (sat 8th jan 2011).

First job was removing all the interior, flooring and exterior accessories, then into the hull with heat guns and paint scrappers, got most of the blue floor paint removed. found several coats actually, has once been black, yellow and originally it looks as if it was red! previous owner had horridly painted the metal plate attaching the rudder in the lovely blue as well, both the ladies got stuck into removing that and polishing up all the silverware/brass.

Next step we hit it with the sanders and was actually surprised, we expected the hull to be in alot worse condition then it is in for a nearly 50 yo boat. found that the nose had brass around the point, the old owners had also painted over that to. there were two gauges in the dash, and Speedo in a cup on top, but originally it had tacho in the dash with a guage on either side.

Original tank is starting to corrode from rust so while this is removed we got started in another measuring up checker plate and started welding it together, have baffled it as well.

Looking at the clock we realised it was around the 4pm mark and decided to call it a day, taking her outside to vacuum it all out then wash it down, while we were doing this we decided to check for leaks as we figured if water can leak out then it can leak in as well! were disappointed to find two leaks! nothing to major one we knew about as found putty under the floor the other was a surprise but should be an easy fix!

the plan for the boat is to get it to a level which is usable this summer and then during winter restore her to her former glory!

Nathan
Attachments
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg (158 KiB) Viewed 8979 times
IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg (103.36 KiB) Viewed 8974 times
IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg (246.44 KiB) Viewed 8969 times
IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg (215.04 KiB) Viewed 8957 times
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg (219.37 KiB) Viewed 8937 times
IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0199.jpg (228.43 KiB) Viewed 8937 times
IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg (184.98 KiB) Viewed 8917 times
IMG_0194.jpg
IMG_0194.jpg (217.22 KiB) Viewed 8887 times
IMG_0192.jpg
IMG_0192.jpg (232.39 KiB) Viewed 8852 times
IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0191.jpg (225.33 KiB) Viewed 8859 times
Last edited by woodbplaya on 21 May 2011, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

woodbplaya

Re: 60'-70's era wooden boat project - help identifying please

Postby woodbplaya » 10 Jan 2011, 09:12

SUNDAY 9TH JAN 2011
Well 8am this morning myself, mate and his father got stuck into the boat again.

First off we finished removing the left over paint from the cav plate, my mate finished sanding and mates dad started to fill holes etc. we stuck at thos for a few hours then got to the oint where we could primer the boat, (were painting it this summer in winter will strip down again and restore to original glory) by this time the ladies had arrived so after some lunch Alan (mates dad) started to spray her while the rest of us sat in the office and we'll watched!.

whilst the undercoast set, the girls got to polishing the remainder of the chrome such as the ski pole, exhaust ports etc.

As we could not touch the boat or anything we realised we had all the flooring out of the boat so got to re-cuttign some of the more brittler bits and pieces. Using 19mm mdf which we will re-carpet tomorrow. the parts of the floor which were in good nick one of the girls vacumed etc and they came up mint.

Once the primmer was ready Alan hit the boat with a shadow coat.

Time to call it a day

Plans for tomorrow are to sand back the boat ready for paint, at this stage it looks to be going a similar colour blue to what it was when i purchased it but this time its suited to a wooden boat, Not a factory Floor!

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 10 Jan 2011, 21:03

Hi Nathan, welcome to the board. I was looking at your posting and recon my boat 'Wooden Worry" may be similar if not the same. I'm not sure who the builder was but i can tell you it came from around Murray Bridge and that there are a couple of others built by the same builder, I have been told it could be a Beosch design (not sure if thats spelt right) If you have a look at the pics in earlier restoration postings for Wooden Worry, see what you think. Cheers Ray

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 11 Jan 2011, 17:09

hey mate, as ray said i think it could be the similar to rays and one of mine. by the look of it id say its abit closer to mine then rays but obviously they have been played with and modified over the years.

can u get a pic from the dash facing the back of the boat on the inside? i'll check it out and compare to mine.

the build looks fun and it makes it easier when ya have some helping hand. all the best

brian

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 11 Jan 2011, 19:28

Hi Brian, your right, closer to yours than mine but same basic double chine layout, very flat bottom too. Are you coming down to Williamstown car/boat show? Would be good to catch up. cya Ray

woodbplaya

Postby woodbplaya » 11 Jan 2011, 21:55

MONDAY 10th Jan 2011
Well Monday saw alot of sanding! alot..... We started the day with the boat in undercoat and shadow coat, After many hours of sanding 11-4:30 we had finally scrubbed the boat back to an acceptable condition! (11am we had a sleep in)

Myself and jess (my partner) are isssing skin of at least two fingers lol, am sure campbell and mel are the same!

So we could progress to the next step, campbell and i pushed the boat so it was in the road off allans other work and well he had to work on it! yey another coat of primmer and shadow coat!

woodbplaya

Postby woodbplaya » 11 Jan 2011, 21:57

rayza1 wrote:Hi Brian, your right, closer to yours than mine but same basic double chine layout, very flat bottom too. Are you coming down to Williamstown car/boat show? Would be good to catch up. cya Ray

HI mate ill grab one of the pics for you tomorrow when i head down there, Cheers

woodbplaya

Postby woodbplaya » 11 Jan 2011, 22:02

Tuesday 11th Jan 2011

Well today was much the same as yesterday! more sanding! again we kicked it off at 11am this morning, sanding away untill around 4ish, again our fingers disliking us greatly!

Agan we pushed the boat back out so it was in the way and Allan had to take notice!

This time however it was for its summer coat! more then happy with it! time to finish floor, tank etc

woodbplaya

Postby woodbplaya » 13 Jan 2011, 01:04

Wednesday 12th Jan 2011
Well today saw myself and jess having a day off and campbell and mel taking care of the boat, managed to get sterring, rudder, exhaust, floor etc all in and looking mint, Allan also got the back painted for us. Again really impressed! coming along great guns!

Alan

Postby Alan » 13 Jan 2011, 21:33

So,
ready for the show on Sunday? looks like it will have the best shine. Hope it stops raining soon so you get to use it.

Alan.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”