60'-70's era wooden boat project, damaged need a repairer??

Any questions? We will try and help.
Greg
Creator

Re: 60'-70's era wooden boat project - help identifying please

Postby Greg » 01 Feb 2011, 17:35

G'day Woodbeplaya

There are still so many boats out there that we just can't seem to identify, and that goes for clinkers too. We are getting a bit better with the clinkers, but still struggle with the ply boats.

Most clinkers were built by the better known builders, making them easier to identify as we got to know the builder's individual style, methods and peculiarities in construction. Only a few builders put identification plates on their boats and when they built boats they didn't necessarily do a run of a particular model or style like car manufacturers do. Many were spec built to the client's order, making them slightly different to any other.

Ply boats are whole new ball game. Apart from the well know builders such as Seacraft, Syndicate and Rivercraft, most ply boats that I know of were built either by professional boats builders or amateurs to plans that were purchased out of "Build a Boat" magazine, various marine catalogues, the US magazine called "Scientific . . . . " something or other. Money wasn't as easy to come by in the 50's and 60's as it is now and boats weren't cheap back then and the only way many could afford a boat was to build one for themselves. As far as I am aware, and somebody jump in to correct me here in need be, Boesch designed boats and sold the plans. I don't know that Boesch actually ever built boats.

So, while we are not (and never claim to be) experts and are always learning, we try and help as best we can.

Here are a couple of pics of boats I believe are Boesch designs. You can compare the pics with your boat and look for similarities. Your boat could even be a copy of a Boesch with a few changes made by the builder.

Greg

divine1.jpg
divine1.jpg (206.46 KiB) Viewed 4560 times

divine02.jpg
divine02.jpg (194.99 KiB) Viewed 4557 times

comanche1.jpg
comanche1.jpg (152.59 KiB) Viewed 4547 times

comanche2.jpg
comanche2.jpg (194.84 KiB) Viewed 4550 times

woodbplaya

Postby woodbplaya » 13 May 2011, 22:34

Well hull didn't hold up to it's first summer on the water and Has cracked underneath the front seat pealing away a section of the outer layer, I'm unsure I this can be repaired or not, I live in the albury area, does anyone know someone around the region that can inspect and tell me the boats fate?

Alternatively does anyone have a hull for sale that I could transfers the driveline etc to?

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 18 May 2011, 23:40

Hi, if you have a look at the "do you need this post" for the Boesch Camanche i think you'll find it's the same hull as yours. The one on ebay is in Wheelers Hill in Melb and it reads as being partly restored. Has the added bonus of a 383ci marinised chrysler donk as well. Currently sitting at $41. I'd by the thing just for the motor but really cant put it anywhere. Ray

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 19 May 2011, 07:15

Get to bed Ray! If anyone in the club does go down that line but does not want the motor, I am interested in a motor like that. Cheers.

Doc

Postby Doc » 19 May 2011, 08:28

Looking at that motor, rocket covers suggest 313 poly [ saw tooth ]. Check with owner first.
Doc.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”