Screws

Any questions? We will try and help.
piquet95971

Screws

Postby piquet95971 » 27 Nov 2010, 13:00

Seeing that slotted head brass wood screws are very thin on the ground and that the readily available brass Phillips headed screws from the big green shed are very soft and next to useless.

What would the general consensus be of using 302 stainless screws for the areas that are not going to be immersed in water or are not going to be visible. These are available from the big green shed.
I will be using 316 below the waterline and some old brass slotted head where they can be seen or where they will be covered by plugs eg the coaming.

It's amazing what is around though. I was at my mums place the other day and found amongst my dads tools and stuff enough monel metal boat nails to fasten the deck and some old Sidney Cooke Brass wood screws. Also some roves that I must have borrowed when I was in the Navy as they still had the 13 digit stock number on the side of the box!!!!

Also a couple of the old London pattern screwdrivers a bit rusty but they will cleanup just fine.

Meanwhile back to work in building the cockpit and engine hatch.

Cheers
Peter

Alan

Re: Screws

Postby Alan » 27 Nov 2010, 14:43

Peter,
some time it's just fun looking through the old stuff. I spent heaps of time digging out and straightening all the monel nails I could find when I pulled my little boat apart, and used most of them when it went back together. It also had lots of square shaft (bronze I think) nails (clews?) and screws, but not enough good one to complete the rebuild. When I asked Peter (Syndicate) he advised the big green shed for stainless by the hundred. According to Peter he uses them in all positions, and has pulled them back out after well over 10 years with no problems other than the Phillips drive full of glue so they couldn't be used again.

Alan.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 27 Nov 2010, 18:29

Hi Peter, i used 304 stainless when doing the Wooden Worry, if your looking at going that way, go to someone like Coventry fastners. You will pay a fraction of the price that the big green place is asking and they have a huge range of sizes. Would love to comment on the durability but the paint is still wet on mine so cant help there!!

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 28 Nov 2010, 08:07

Try the bolt depot or jamestown boat supplies in the states.
They have stainless and silicon bronze.
Just an example the stainless shop in sydney want $1.30 each for eight gauge slotted screws. Bolt depot 13 cents each. I couldnt believe the difference in price.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 28 Nov 2010, 08:07

Try the bolt depot or jamestown boat supplies in the states.
They have stainless and silicon bronze.
Just an example the stainless shop in sydney want $1.30 each for eight gauge slotted screws. Bolt depot 13 cents each. I couldnt believe the difference in price.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”