fitting new deck

Any questions? We will try and help.
rayza1

fitting new deck

Postby rayza1 » 30 Sep 2010, 23:14

Hi Guys, i'm about to start fitting the new deck and was wondering if there is any problem with using siccaflex as an adhesive. Also is there a problem with using stainless scews instead of brass? They will be countersunk and filled so they wont be seen. I can get stainless a lot easier (cheaper) than brass.

Alan

Re: fitting new deck

Postby Alan » 30 Sep 2010, 23:42

Ray,
I would stick (no pun) with a solid joint to give the hull as much stiffness as possible. I wonder if there is some movement allowed in the deck joint, will it add to much strain on the other solid joints in the hull.

I changed to s/steel after talking to Peter Addcock (Syndicate) who has used them for years and said that he had pulled them out of hulls he was doing repairs on, that he had fitted them to over 15 years earlier and they were fine.

Alan.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 01 Oct 2010, 08:35

The rebuild I am doing on my 20,s boat is all with 3M 5200. Its like a sikaflex but it takes 7 days to cure. A lot of the yanks have gone away from solid epoxy joints.
The more rigid the more chance of fatigue fractures.
Years ago I used it on FF sure to seal the clinker planking. Its still hanging in there.
I had to buy the glue straight from the US as no one stocks it here.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 01 Oct 2010, 10:43

I dont think that I would be using the sikaflex to stick the deck down. The polyurethane adhesives like the 5200 or the purbond are all very good these days. Far superior to the old adhesives of a number of years ago
I have found another that is readily available at that great big green hardware shed". It's called Vise and looking at the specs seems to be almost the same as the 3M5200
There is another adhesive that I purchased from the Wooden Boat Shop in Sorrento called "fix it mate grip" by Fixtech Solutions. They thought that it would be ideal for all wooden boat building purposes.

As for screwing the deck down I would go with the stainless steel screws over the brass ones the modern brass is just crap, too soft and they are all phillips head screws. Makes it very hard to head a screw!!!!
or if you want to go the best way get some silicon bronze screws. They are pricey but much better than brass and a bit less cost than 316 stainless steel particularly in the numbers that you will need to screw down a deck.

Have you thought about nailing the deck down with either Monel Metal Boat nails or the Silicon Bronze boat nails. They have a serrated shaft and will not pull out like a plain shank copper nail that is another thouyght and probably the way that I would do the deck
On my boat I intend to go along the lines of a 6 mm gaboon plywood deck glued and nailed and the over laid with a strip decking of surian cedar and huon pine. The overlay will be just glued down on a bedding adhesive.

below is a link to web sites for all sort of fasteners

http://boltsnutsscrewsonline.com/Contact-Info.html

http://bronzeandbrassfasteners.com.au/? ... gwodW1cI-w

cheers
peter sneddon

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 01 Oct 2010, 17:22

Thanks guys, i will probably go with s/steel as i can get them in good quantities at the right price and as was mentioned they are easier to use with a philips head. As for the glue, thanks for steering me away from the sikaflex. It's a great product but maybe in this case not the right one. Will have a look at the big green store for the other stuff. I'm starting this weekend so if get some production happening i will put some pics up. cheers Ray

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 01 Oct 2010, 17:51

We used the 3M 5200 on Turbo Fire where the clinker planks overlapped. It's THE stuff to use in our application. It's good stuff - great bond with excellent flexability. The 3M 5200 is readily available in Australia, you will probably need to source it through a marine supplier. Good chandlery shops will stock it.

Bob

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 02 Oct 2010, 09:01

Bob where did you get it from. All I could find was some 5200 fast cure and it was on back order. I even rang 3m direct and they couldnt help.. It cost me $500 for 24 tubes from the US.

mccaughd

Postby mccaughd » 05 Oct 2010, 09:35

I also searched high and low for 3M 5200 in Adelaide but settled with Sikaflex just due to easy of supply.

I did find this place in Sydney (Dee Why) carried 3m 5200 http://www.scomar.com.au/

Cheers

Damien

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 05 Oct 2010, 09:42

Scomar was the place that had it on back order. They are the only ones that bring it in now. They only supply the fast cure stuff which is not want I want to use. The slow cure stuff takes seven days to cure and is ten times stronger.

mccaughd

Postby mccaughd » 05 Oct 2010, 10:35

I also found this place in the USA that sells 3M 5200

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ve+Sealant

As a rough guide, I was quoted USD $20 to $50 postage for 4 tubes of 10oz.

Cheers

Damien

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”