pauls jet pump

Any questions? We will try and help.
rayza1

pauls jet pump

Postby rayza1 » 12 Sep 2010, 20:50

Hi guys, looking for info on a pauls jet pump. I have just machined up new rollers out of oil impegnated nylon for mine. It test runs ok on a bench (bucket of water and an electric drill) but wont self prime. Is that the norm? If the pump wont self pime what the procedure for getting the thing to work. I'm new to this so it's a bit of a learning curve. cheers.

Greg
Creator

Re: pauls jet pump

Postby Greg » 12 Sep 2010, 21:25

G'day Ray
As a kid, I remember the Paul's pump in Stormy always struggling to pump enough water through the motor. The pump obviously had a bit of wear in it, but would only seem to push water through one bank (head) of the motor until some serious forward motion started to happen. It was enough to worry us about cooking half the motor. I believe it was fine when newer, problems only began when the wear started to come in. Apart from the difficulty in getting parts, that memory was another reason why I went to a Jabsco type. I've never had a problem since.
Forward motion should help it prime.
Greg

rayza1

Re: pauls jet pump

Postby rayza1 » 14 Sep 2010, 18:53

Thanks Greg, i refitted said pump to my boat last night, complete with new rollers and .........it didnt work. No matter how much i primed it, it wouldn't suck water from a bucket 2 feet away !! It,s now on the back burner (read dog house) I bought a 32lt per minute electric pump as a temporary repair but am now in the market for another mechanical pump. The electric one should pump enough water but i cant control the flow. Will put out a request in the wanted section. Good news is i have started fitting the new deck so hopefully in the next week or so i will be able to post a couple of updated pics. cheers.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”