our project

Any questions? We will try and help.
piquet95971

Re: our project

Postby piquet95971 » 21 Feb 2015, 21:50

Well I will now know how much fuel I haven't got in the boat without removing the fuel tank. I have lashed out and bought a gauge and sender unit to install. Have to get the ring bolts still for the clutch rod. I'll get them tomorrow and then install them.

Boat survived the Aust bash really quite well.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 04 Mar 2015, 20:27

We have joined the membership and now own, well nearly, an SUV. So we can now go away as a family and only have to take one vehicle to tow the boat. We lashed out and bought a 2013 Ford Territory. Its the first Ford that I have ever owned and its hard to even say the word sometimes.
Still it is a good jigger and should tow, launch and recover Bazinga really well.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 11 Feb 2018, 20:54

So after an almost 2 year layup due to some family hassles, I'm back to get the boat up and going again.

In September I had a hip replacement. That was 8 weeks off work. The hours were great but the pay was crap. Also I spent most of that time on crutches so clambering round inside a boat was not possible.
Over summer I replaced a couple of roves and nails that hadn't been seated home properly. Finally mounted the fuel tank the way that I wanted and rerouted the fuel lines.

Probably try and get its bottom wet next weekend at Lake Burrumbeet, which is about the closest place to Nunawading. Haven't heard too many good things about Pikes Creek.

After chatting to a couple of people I have decided to install an auto bilge pump so that I can leave th boat and not come back and find it on the bottom.
I've also decided to install a bilge blower.
Retro fitting these things is a pain. Wish I had done it from the start.
Last edited by piquet95971 on 12 Feb 2018, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 11 Feb 2018, 21:35

Good to see you back again Pete.

Good luck next weekend. Can't believe you have no closer water. Glenmaggie might be a little further, but an easier drive? Two years out of the water might mean a bit of wetting out before you throw it in.

An auto bilge pump - a clinker owner's best friend. I didn't bother with an auto pump when Stormy was done because, well, it didn't leak much. As for now, yep, giving it some serious thought. Peace of mind when you walk away from the boat for a while.

Bilge blower also good policy but can be frustrating if it is on a delay and you're in a hurry, ie, having to wait a minute or two for it to clear the air.

Darren

Postby Darren » 11 Feb 2018, 22:28

Pete, There is a midweek option at the National Water sports centre at Carrum. Tuesdays and Fridays around $25. managed by Parks Vic. Its a rowing course generally unaffected by wind

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 12 Feb 2018, 20:27

I filled it up to the level of the top of the engine bearers before Christmas and it was pouring water out. But I will definitely do it again.
Even if just to test the auto switch.
Who would have though that something as simple as a an auto bilge pump switch could take so long to install. Two days work and still not installed. Getting the wiring front to back and tucked in nice and tight is the biggest problem.
And Soldering all the joints and shrink wrapping them so that moisture is not as prevelant on the joints.
I hadn't thought of the Watersports Centre. The hard part will be convincing the friends in Ballarat to come down here and not us go up there.

Then the Bilge blower.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 12 Feb 2018, 20:32

I was at Burrumbeet over the Australia day weekend and it 's a great venue, good sandy beaches and bugger all rocks. Pykes is crap at the best of times but on the weekends you can walk across the jetski's! When are you heading out?

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 15 Feb 2018, 18:51

Wiring of the auto bilge pump finally completed today.
What a crappy job and it works which is even better.

About going to Burrumbeet, not sure. Waiting for my friends in Ballarat to say what they are doing. They were all gung ho to go out but have heard nothing for a week. So I may just take it to The watersports centre with SWMBO.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”