our project

Any questions? We will try and help.
piquet95971

Re: our project

Postby piquet95971 » 21 Dec 2014, 07:11

This week has been bedlam with work so I have not done much on the boat except chase up some numbers to put on the wiring. I was looking for some small wrap around numbers that are self adhesive to wrap around each end of the wires in the loom.
Thinking about it now I should have asked our resident aircraft technician (retired) as they are used in his industry. Amazing how hard something so simple is so hard to find. Eventually found them less than 2km from home!

Also bought some new rocker cover gaskets. I'm thinking of lifting the covers to lube the valve gear before I try to start the thing.

The dip stick I have has no top on it to seal the tube! The previous owner just wrapped some insulation tape around the stick as a seal. Any one have a spare or will any Ford one suit? Just cut off to the same length as my original?

A week later than it was proposed I will be getting the wiring checked out. I hope I don't have that Much has to be changed if anything at all.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 21 Dec 2014, 08:44

Pete

Wires often tagged, more often have their ID ink stamped on them.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 21 Dec 2014, 21:07

Well what a successful day we had today.

The mate came with his test light, had a look at my enormous wiring diagram said that if the wiring was the way that the drawing showed then there should be no problems.
First we disconnected all the power wires from the fuse board. Did the ultimate test hooked up a battery to the positive side then checked the earths and the light went on. Wow

Hooked up the instrument lights, turned on the power and they lit up.
Hooked up the power to the instruments, turned on the power earthed out the sender wires and the instruments moved, double wow.

Ok now to the big item, starter circuit, Steve traced the wiring and it seemed ok. Hooked up the power side turned on the ignition switch, no smoke so far.......test light showed that the circuit should be OK. Piled the switch for the bilge pump and that worked, well at least it made a whirring noise. Success!
The starter system was my major concern. Disconnected the coil lead from the distributor turned the key to the start position and the starter made a huge clunk and the thing started to turn over. I've done it. And still no smoke or fire. I was prepared. The fire extinguishers were nearby!!!
I've changed a couple of the wiring and included an in line fuse in the ignition circuit, just in case. I'm also intending to put a circuit breaker in the system and also a fuse in the power side of the bilge pump circuit.

I'm so pleased that it all went so well. The next thing is to put some oil in the sump. Fill the oil filter housing if possible without ending up with a bilge full of fresh oil. Take off the rocker covers lube the valve gear.

So things left to be done.
Mount fuel tank, attach all fuel lines. I might try and start it from a small fuel can before I fill up the large fuel tank.
Obtain an accelerator pedal and cable and work out how to hook it all up.

So major milestones were achieved today
Still haven't given in and mounted the stereo system yet but by orders of SWMBO it has to happen!
Last edited by piquet95971 on 23 Dec 2014, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 21 Dec 2014, 21:18

Greg, have you seen the doco on Foxtel about the building of the Apache Helicopter. The amount if wiring in that thing is staggering, the mainly women that do the connecting of all the connectors have a special title. Can't remember it now but it will come to me. I was super impressed with the wiring of those things. They are only small but had something like 20 miles of wiring in them.
Last edited by piquet95971 on 21 Dec 2014, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 21 Dec 2014, 21:36

Great to hear the progress Peter. Just a warning, it seems that Hookster has a problem with stereos in wooden boats. Can't hear mine over the engines sweet rumble anyway.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 21 Dec 2014, 22:30

Nick, you tell Megan that.
Cause I'm not going anywhere near it. I'll put it in and if can't be heard then it ain't my fault!

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 21 Dec 2014, 22:44

Pete
Well done.
Your auto/marine-elec ticket is in the mail

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 23 Dec 2014, 22:02

Found a ski pole on EBay today. Going to pick it up tomorrow. It has to be better than the one that came with the boat.
The original was a piece of 2" Gal water pipe with an end cap banged on the top and a couple of eyes welded on the sides.
Anyone want a cheap ski pole. Free to a good home!

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 24 Dec 2014, 22:46

Ski pole obtained, just a quick drive to Colac and back.
Sat it in place. Looks just right.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 26 Dec 2014, 21:06

A bit more fiddling today. Drilled hole for ski pole. I will make a collar for it as the hole saw size was a bit sloppy.

Oil filter fitted ready for topping it up with oil. I'm going to lift the rocker covers and pour some oil over the valve gear hoping that some will run down the push rod holes and lube up the cam and followers a bit. Then pour the remainder in the sump.

I still have a little bit to do to tidy up the wiring before the big start day.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”