our project

Any questions? We will try and help.
piquet95971

Re: our project

Postby piquet95971 » 27 Dec 2014, 15:18

Slow day today, got a case of the CBFs cause I have stuffed a couple of things up.
Base plate for ski pole mounted.
Rocker covers lifted and valve gear lubed rocker covers reinstalled and the remainder of the oil poured into the sump.

Still to work out the accelerator system. Not sure how to do it as a straight line for a cable has the water pump pulley in the way.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 27 Dec 2014, 18:12

Might have put the oil in the sump but there is now some in the bottom of the boat. This sort of stuff is starting to really give me the absolute SH..s.
1 step forward and a couple back

I'm almost at the stage of giving the whole thing a big miss!

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 27 Dec 2014, 21:28

C'mon Pete. You've come so far and are now so close, too close to let an oil leak stop you.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 29 Dec 2014, 11:35

The CBF are caused by a good friend of mine now being found to have secondary tumors in his liver after having had treatment for esophegal cancer treated fairly radically only on the easter just gone. By the sounds of it it is really only buying him a little more time with some more chemo. Not good.

So this Christmas has been another not really worth celebrating. I Hate FKN cancer

On the boat front. I'm at a loss as to what to do with regard to accelerator pedals. I need a pull one as the throttle shaft on the carby rotates to the front of the boat but a direct line for a cable arrangement is in line with the waterpump pulley. I assume that Teleflex type cables can be curved away and around but I cant work out what pedal type I need. The ones I saw on Cassel marine seem to be wrong for what I need.
I bought one off Ebay a while ago. It's an old style Tawco but it is obviously not complete. Just the pedal and a mounting base plate. I cant see how this pedal could be made to work.
Maybe its just me not thinking clearly at present.

Getting the other small things that I need today and then it will be time to think about trying to start this thing. I hope it starts!

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 29 Dec 2014, 13:20

Pete one off the best cures is to get out into the shed and start working on a project . I find the best way to connect the linkage is through bell cranks and 1/4" rods . The engine kits used to come with them ,they are a small mounting bracket with a 2" crank . One is mounted above the flywheel cover area with one end of the 1/4" rod going to the carby ,a second crank is mounted down on the engine bearer with a rod between them ,you can change from push to pull through the crank . I just put the 1/4" rod in the vice and bent a 90deg end on it then drilled two small holes to take a split pin or bent nail . I wish I could download pictures the setup is quite simple perhaps someone with it could download a photo . I intend to take the laptop to Yarrawonga and try to get someone to give me a monkey see monkey do lesson on downloading pictures .
Ken

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 29 Dec 2014, 14:24

I think I might have a solve for mounting the pedal that I have.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 29 Dec 2014, 20:00

OK this weekend looks like being the big start.

I have filled the oil filter and have lubed the valve gear and poured some oil down the pushrods to get to the cam lobes. As the engine has been sitting for a while I suppose that I should pull the distributor back out and use a shaft to prime the oil galleries and get some oil through the whole system.

I won't say that I'm totally back on the right side of things but I am feeling a bit more at ease with things. My mate is due for another round of his chemo next week and seems that he may be responding but can't eat which doesn't help.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 29 Dec 2014, 21:38

Hey Pete, I know where your coming from in regards to your bout of CBF's but the guys are right, the best cure is keeping your mind occupied. In regards to your throttle issues, my last project (the little red hydro) I had problems setting up a throttle cable to the outboard. I used a hydraulic setup that worked smoothly and trouble free, it used a brake master cylinder attached to the pedal and a clutch slave cylinder as an actuator connected to the linkage assembly of the carby. The hose was 5/16" o/d high pressure plastic and would take whatever path I wanted it to. All the bits were bought over the counter from supercheap and it was relatively simple to setup.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 30 Dec 2014, 21:02

After sitting and thinking about things WRT the throttle I started looking into teleflex cables. I planned out a route for a cable. I think it might just work.
I went to Discount Seamart in Elizabeth St, Melbourne showed what I had to contend with, including taking the pedal assembly with me and a couple of pictures.

These guys have been around for yonks. They even knew where Tawco were located when they were in Brunswick. Their opinion was that I was on the right track
I purchased a 10' cable for the system. Turns out it is probably a foot longer than what I need but I can get gentle bends to line up with the pedal location and the linkage on the carby.

I have attached to the carby and made a temporary clamp on the manifold, ran the cable to the approx position, pulled the inner cable and the thing turned the carby butterfly's just nicely.
I'll have to make a longer lever for the pedal to get full travel but I'm fairly sure that I have this little hurdle resolved.
I didn't get the lube system primed today maybe tomorrow or on News a Year Day. Then over the weekend may give the engine a start.

Still have to mount the fuel tank but that won't stop the continuing progress on the other things.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 31 Dec 2014, 19:15

After spending 2 days trying to work out the pedal end of the throttle cable I seem to have got it all wrong again!

The pedal is an original Tawco unit but it seems to be incomplete so even fitting a rose joint to the bottom of the pedal with a longer fulcrum point still doesn't seem to work properly.

The carburettor end is easy and the mounting bracket has been made mounted in such a way that it gets full throttle and the return spring works well.

I may have to wait until EMCO which is the company that still makes the TAWCO products re opens and see if they have a solution.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”