our project

Any questions? We will try and help.
bauchy

Re: our project

Postby bauchy » 08 Jun 2010, 20:32

take a pic of the writing and take it to a photo restoration place. amazing what they can do with photos. im sure they would be able to work out what it says

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 11 Jun 2010, 16:22

so we have been busy with the forensics on the project
as I have said we have found some writing on the underside of the deck stringers

this has been deciphered to read "JENNING" Lot 29"and what looks to be NARAMA
There is a Naramah St in Forest Hill not far from here and a lot of the houses were built by AV Jennings in the mid 60's

So there is a good chance that our boat was built in melbourne and possibly included some left over timber froma building site!!!! Why doesnt that surprise me.
It's just interesting to trace the beginnings of the boat
cheers
peter

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 12 Jun 2010, 19:08

so after my investigation could some one tell me how many clinker boat builders and who they were in Melbourne
cheers
peter

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 12 Jun 2010, 20:39

Pete

Here's a list drwn up some time ago - most states. It's a bit awkward to read, but it's more awkward to format.

Beacon Boats Hughesdale Vic
Benson & Shaw Mordialloc Vic
Binks
Paringa Park SA
Bosche Qld
Botterill Highett Vic
Clinkercraft Mona Vale NSW
Clyde Melbourne Vic
Dealtry Craft Collinswood SA
Eddy Jack Coburg Vic
Everingham Sackville NSW
Fletchers Frankston Vic
Flying Dutchman Marine Altona Vic
Lewis Brothers Taren Point NSW
Lewis & Johnson Huskisson NSW
Lewis Frank Huskisson NSW
Gilflite Vic
Goldsbrough Earlwood NSW
Goodlear Speedcraft Lidcombe NSW
Halverson Ryde NSW
Hammond Brookevale NSW
Harbocraft Northcote Vic
Harris Berri SA
Howard NSW
Jay Ron & Errol Surrey Hills Vic
Kennet Ladder Co Padstow NSW
Kitcraft Footscray Vic
Long Jack Tas
Lukey Preston Vic
Mould Craft Frankston Vic
Nankervis Bendigo Vic
Odgers Keith Hindmarsh SA
Petrie Boat & Trailer Works Petrie Qld
Robbie Marine Frankston Vic
Savage J J Williamstown Vic
Seacraft Mordialloc Vic
Shepherd Craft
Simpkin K Coburg Vic
Ski Craft St Peters NSW
Star Craft Carlton Vic
Starline Craft Armadale Vic
Steber Craft Narabeen/Mona Vale NSW
Storm NSW
Stylecraft Blackburn Vic
Syndicate Mornington Vic
Traeger SA
Unique Craft Ramsgate NSW
Walker Heyfield Vic
Walker & Leesom Heyfield Vic
Walsh L M & Co Footscray Vic
Wells Earlwood - Peakhurst NSW
Whitely NSW
Whittely Bulleen Vic
Winton Vic

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 14 Jun 2010, 17:50

23 boat builders of these type of craft in Melbourne!!!!!

Well we have waved the white flag on trying to identify the rotten thing and will just get on with the resto.

This weekend
all deck beams marked out using old ones as a template. using Meranti 3/4"'thick instead of 7/8". Am doubling beams up where the old deck stringers were just butted against the deck beams and end nailed. The doubling will be glued and screwed to the deck beam with the necessary cut outs in the reo part. Then the deck stringers will be glued and screwed to the beam that way.

Shapes all cut out roughly deck stringers cut out today.
One original deck beam clamped back into place and the boat pulled back to near original shape using ratchet tiedowns. This allow the boat to be pulled at the sheer gently and uniformly till the shape is somewhere near what I think that it could have been before the idiots pulled all the deck beams and deck off in one piece with out any bracing
cheers
for now
peter

screwit

Postby screwit » 16 Jun 2010, 19:18

re timber , when I started work as a joiner- cab-maker 7/8 was a standard finished size, the timber quality must have been better. It then went to 3/4 and now it is 16- 19 mm

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 14 Jul 2010, 20:29

Hi guys

We have finally joined the CAWPBA and recieved my first issue of the Hollow Log. many thanks Greg

The project is progressing although its cold in the carport so I have taken to doing more research at the 'puter and reading.
I was talking to one of the fellow members at the Boat Show and we were talking about engines and as most Know I have a Y block for the boat. The advise was maybe to consider changing to a period Chev engine as they are a good deal lighter than the Ford item.

I have spoken to Shuggy at Crankshaft Rebuilder in Blackburn about this and he agreed that maybe the change to a 283/307/ or at the latest a 327 would be a better way to go as they are lighter and there are S*** loads of good quality and reasonably priced parts available both genuine and after market for the Chev but not that many for the ford.

I am in two minds and would like some advice and comments.

Boat Progress
Engine bearers made just need to be trial fited and then rebolted into the boat.
All deck beams cut out and deck camber finished, front deck beam installed. Transom template started
Once the engine bearers are bolted in place the boat will then be lifted off the trailer and into a cradle for ease of works and also to try and support the Keel in a better position than at present

ther is an interesting article in JULY/Aug /Sept Edition of AUSTRALIAN AaMATEUR Boabuilder mag on a replica of a 1930's "gentlemans runabout". A real high quality job done with absolute attention to details and very professional.
Maybe we should attempt to contact the owner about his wondscreen brackets they had then cast and polished ? Any thoughts

cheers
peter

blown292

Postby blown292 » 14 Jul 2010, 21:28

Y block sounds better :D I know a good home for it if you ever want to get rid of it ;)

There is a lot of good stuff out there for a y block but value for $ you will never beat a small block. Y block bits come up cheap now and then on ebay if you buy a bit at a time (rings beraings etc even a cheap 312 last year ;) ) , the thing with a chev is you can buy anything you need tomorrow at nearly any street corner.

I just rebuilt a pretty warm 283 for my chev but I know that money would not have gone anywhere in a Y block, and truth be told will go better, but the y block sounds better than the chev :D
Last edited by blown292 on 14 Jul 2010, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 14 Jul 2010, 21:58

maybe this could help, id go the chev personally

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/327-CHEVY-INBOAR ... 255bee8705

blown292

Postby blown292 » 14 Jul 2010, 22:12

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/ ... 011163.jpg

Heres a good pair, the Y block is heavier and bigger than the big block 454. At least pushing them around its heavier.

Here is good way to get the bits. A guy imported a 56 pickup with this pretty new engine with all the good stuff in it , didnt like it and pulled it out for a windsor. Dad flew up to NSW and dragged it back as a spare for his car, bugger he was quicker than me :D

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”