tightening roves

Any questions? We will try and help.
rayza1

tightening roves

Postby rayza1 » 28 Oct 2019, 20:13

Quick question, is there any real science in tightening roves? I would like to have a crack at tightening Ronda's hull a bit, she's a bit TOO loose....I can't keep water in it long enough to swell the timber. Most of the leaking is from the second plank join out from the keel if that make's sense and then only an area about 3 ft in length, kinda where the boat would hit the water crossing a wake. I have roving tools, just lacking knowledge

WoodRay

Re: tightening roves

Postby WoodRay » 28 Oct 2019, 20:22

Pull the engine and do the as many as you can. When Ross and I did mine I thought we'd be right doing the area were we thought the leak was on the outside. Problem was the water was running along the gap/s between the keel and first plank (hidden) and was actually finally entering/exiting inside the boat about two foot further down the keel...…………………….engine out again. Fill the boat with as much water as you dare or spray detergent around and then run the air gun around the outside with someone watching the inside. That's how we found it.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 28 Oct 2019, 20:47

Was hoping to do a bit before Narrandera, no time for an engine out right now. I'm trying to nurse Ronda along until i retire in a year or so, then i will do a far more comprehensive overhaul without having to rush things. I get your point but that doesn't kinda fit at the moment

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 31 Oct 2019, 21:06

No worries Ray. Fit a couple of temporary bilge pumps or maybe a suction line to your jabsco so you can flick over to it on the run if need be.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”