Paint selection

Any questions? We will try and help.
dw1678

Paint selection

Postby dw1678 » 09 Apr 2019, 13:32

Hi all,

I've finished replacing all the rotten planks (photo attached) and now need to think about painting the hull before turning over to rebuild the deck.

The original colour appears to be maroon with a pink primer/undercoat. I would like to repaint the same colour in a high gloss finish.

I would appreciate some advice on paint selection. I have spray painting equipment and was considering using an automotive paint system - hi-build undercoat and enamel topcoats. Now I'm not so sure. Are 2 pack or epoxy paints superior and can they be applied by an amateur to achieve the high gloss, smooth finish I'm after?

Is there a paint type/system that anyone could recommend?.

Thanks in anticipation.
David
Attachments
20181024_163519.jpg
20181024_163519.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 7300 times

screwit

Re: Paint selection

Postby screwit » 09 Apr 2019, 18:22

Looks like you have done a great job on the replacement timber. And a big job . I don't like 2 pack , they say it will move with the expansion when they try to sell the stuff but in my experience it is to hard and does not expan well with the timber and with time it cracks and flakes.
Oil base paints are more flexable.
Boats expan and contract every time they are used and dry out and shrink when stored for the winter .
Yes the 2 pack is like a plastic gloss finish but if you look after the single pack and keep it polished it will look good and should last up to 10 yrs .
2 pack is not fun to sand and strip once it cracks and splinters .
Interesting to here others experiences .

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 09 Apr 2019, 20:09

I used two pack when i did Wooden Worry and instantly regretted it. It cracked along most joints and had to be redone a few times. It looked ok(if you think yellow is ok) but on reflection i should have used enamel, just my opinion

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 09 Apr 2019, 22:51

I have used Norglass 2 pack on the seacrafts , Rascala and B .Pee and have found it to be hard wearing with a great gloss finish . Nightmare is brush painted with a single pack norglass . I have tried the water based 2 pack but it does not gloss very well they say to put clear coat on top to give it a better gloss . My choise would be a norglass single pack and brush if you live in a built up area the fumes from 2 pack could cause a upset with neighbours .
Ken

dw1678

Postby dw1678 » 14 Apr 2019, 08:54

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your prompt and helpful responses. I have just started to prepare the hull in earnest and can see that I have weeks of sanding, filling and caulking in front of me and would hate to make the wrong choice.

I think I will go with Norglass Weatherfast Premium Enamel Gloss over Norglass Pri-Coat primer.

Thanks again.
David

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”