Paint for clinker hull

Any questions? We will try and help.
Woodside

Paint for clinker hull

Postby Woodside » 05 Apr 2010, 18:38

Hi guys,
Now that our easter sking is over im now looking to re paint the hull on my clinker Woodside and was wondering if anyone no's of a good product and supplier located in melbourne.
Just to go over some old ground im thinking i will use a heat gun and scraper an scrape all the flakey peices of paint as well as the sealer from the hull then give it a lite sand then re seal then paint ?
Also i need some advice on the best/ easiest way to take the boat off the trailer and flip it over ?

Thanks Cam

bauchy

Re: Paint for clinker hull

Postby bauchy » 05 Apr 2010, 21:58

with mine i coated the bare timber with bote cote epoxy then painted it with two pack auto paint. i dunno wat product to use if you dont wanna go back to bare timber sorry

brian

Nick

Postby Nick » 09 Apr 2010, 22:53

Jotun is excellent

Jotun Australia Pty.Ltd. - Melbourne

Address: 9, Cawley Road,
Brooklyn,
Victoria 3025

Australia
Phone number: +61 3 9314 0722

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 11 Apr 2010, 19:21

Hi Guys, if it's any help i've done my boat with Jotun hibuild 2 pack undercoat and stuff called hardtop top coat and i'm happy with it. When they say hardtop they mean it! Could hit this with a hammer and you won't scratch it. One thing though it's not cheap and only comes in 4 lt packs. Cost the best part of a Grand to do!

Sunbeam11

Postby Sunbeam11 » 11 Apr 2010, 19:44

Hi all,I hope this isn't too far of the topic.....it has'nt been mentioned yet, but do these products have UV stuff/stabilisers in them??? and does anyone think they are necessary....especially seeing our boats are not like bright work on yachts where they may be on moorings day in day out etc.
Any advice on this would also be great.....thanks.
Peter G

Nick

Postby Nick » 11 Apr 2010, 20:08

I forget about the UV specs
but this was 2006

and this was a month ago

The paint on the hull is original except for a few touch ups due to dinghy hits

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 11 Apr 2010, 20:28

When i spoke to the people at jotun about the 2 pack system i was told it was marine paint so i assumed(correctly i hope) that it was uv stabalised. Guess i will find out in time.

Woodside

Postby Woodside » 12 Apr 2010, 17:04

Thanks for the advice it looks jotun is the way to go i will be attempting to start the project next month i will be now taking it back to bare timber to start, has anyone put some kind of sealer (ie sicker flex) in the grove of clinkers over laps before painting over it ? Also If anyone has any ideas for getting the boat off the trailer and fliping it they would also be greatly appreciated as you can tell its the first time i have attempted this should be fun.

Cam

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 12 Apr 2010, 20:27

yep i sikaflexd my clinker between the boards then epoxied and painted over it. looks good so far but hasnt been in water yet

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 12 Apr 2010, 22:39

Hi again, as far as getting your boat off the trailer when i did mine i had the luxury of having a 2 car garage that i could do without for a while (3 years in fact). I put props underneath the roof supports, in this case scaffold tubes with height adjusters in the bottom to take the weight, then hung webbing staps from one side under the boat and using 2 hand winches lifted the boat clear of the trailer. This also allowed me to be able (with care) to roll the boat over to work on it upside down. It made it easy to do on my own. I will try to post a pic. of what i did. cheers Ray
20.jpg
20.jpg (109.17 KiB) Viewed 7636 times

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”