Paint for clinker hull

Any questions? We will try and help.
rayza1

Re: Paint for clinker hull

Postby rayza1 » 13 Apr 2010, 17:24

Hi Cam, if it's any help i'm not using the gear that i used to do my boat and it's just laying around my shed taking up room. The only thing i'd need to keep would be the comealongs, but the hand pullers you get from supercheap will do the same job.
If your interested give me a call on 0448506291. I'm working up at the Thomson Dam for a few weeks but i'm home on the weekends.
Ray

Woodside

Postby Woodside » 13 Apr 2010, 21:11

GDay Ray
Thanks for the offer if i get stuck i will give you a call but i think i can replicate the same set up in my garage with a few things borrowed from work and i already have the slings and block and tackles in the shed. Now that i have seen someone else that has done with ralative ease it instills me with some confidence ha ha. I plan on getting the resin an paints in the next few weeks and starting the project next month so i will post some picks when its under way im looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks to everyone for the advise.

Cam

Nick

Postby Nick » 13 Apr 2010, 23:06

I didn't use the 2 pack paint and have no knowledge of it
I used
Alkydprimer followed by
Pilot II topcoat
I also used the Jotun wood primer on the bare Timber and is a silvery grey colour
you can put the top coat straight over the timber primer but for the ultimate protection use all 3

regarding sikaflex I hate to say it but I have heard a lot of bad stories about it and its longevity
It does eventually crumble and go chalky
I think 3M's 5200 is the one that is recommended now
There are a few things bedded down with sikaflex on my boat and if it lasts as long as it does for just about everyone else I expect to be pulling quite a few things off in a few years and redoing them

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 14 Apr 2010, 21:39

hey,
with sikaflex its imperative to use the primer. every one ive spoken to who has problems with sikaflex long term didnt even know there is a timber primer. i used it on mine and it worked allot better with primer then test pieces i tried without. the primer comes in an alloy 100ml container. ya just brush it on then let it dry then ya right to sikaflex. ive been told by a couple of suppliers that sikaflex applied properly will last a bloody long time. only problem with the primer is that it costs $120 for the tiny container but it does do allot of work.

3m5200 is a great product also and i'll be using it when i build my bond wood hulls that im going to start selling for ski racing, its so easy and fool proof anyone would be mad not to use it

brian

Woodside

Postby Woodside » 01 May 2010, 16:40

Well guys today we started the job of re painting the hull on Woodside had an interesting day to. I went down to one of the local marine timber surplyers in seaford vic which advertise they sell Bote Cote products to find they are no longer at that address (so if anyone no's if they are still in business an where they are can they let me no ta) so we thought we would cut our losses make a start on taking the motor out and all the fitings off well they say many hands make lite work and they are rite there was three of us and not only did we get it all pulled apart it is now off the trailer and upside in my dads garage now for the fun of getting the old paint off. I will post some pics of our progress.

Cam

antique-boatique

Postby antique-boatique » 01 May 2010, 18:16

Try Marine Timbers at Waverly - they have most of the products you will need

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 02 May 2010, 00:14

hey mate,
mcdonald marine sell boat coat in melb. cant remember the address but the are right at the city... usually have plenty of stock
03 9696 5211

brian

Woodside

Postby Woodside » 03 May 2010, 20:53

Well i finally had some success today tracking down Marine Timbers in Seaford they are no longer in 3/10 Rutherfordrd Seaford they have been brought out by South Eastern Sails and are located at unit 2/82 Brunel rd Seaford the guys name is Warren he was quite knowledgeable on the bote cote as well as primers and top coats he has a fair range in stock so i was able to get everything i needed so now the fun begins removing the old paint fun.

Cam

Woodside

Postby Woodside » 05 Jun 2010, 19:00

Hey Guys,

Ive been busy working on the boat sanding, filling, repairing wood. I Ihave used bote coate to fillet the joints and put two coats over the raw timber all has been going well untill today i tried to put on the undercoat its called aquacote hi fill primer it says you can brush, roll or spray paint (which is recomended) so i tried to spray it i did everything that they said but man was it hard to put on an looks like crap has anyone used this product an if so how did you apply it. I hope it sand up okay i put 2 coats on and it is still slighty translucent im not sure if i should put more on or just sand it up and put the top coat on.

cam

Alan

Postby Alan » 05 Jun 2010, 22:37

Cam,
I used both the filler and the topcoat, I can't remember what the appearance was after the filler but I used the brush method and then sanded lightly (as it doesn't fill much). The topcoat was the one that surprised me the most, it went on so well I couldn't believe it. It was the first time I had used a foam brush for a top coat finish.

Alan.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”