Fibreglass Removal

Any questions? We will try and help.
T-Bird

Fibreglass Removal

Postby T-Bird » 23 Mar 2010, 11:02

Hi all,

I am a new comer to the CAWPBA and am about to start my first restoration project. It is an Everingham clinker circa 1959. The hull was glassed over about 6 years ago and to my knowledge has had little use since, spending a coulple years in storage. Hence the reason for my question.

What is the best method of removal of the fibreglass????

In a few places around the gunnel the fibreglass has lifted which has tempted me to peel it off, but I feel this would remove the top layer of timber fibre as it peels.

Thanks heaps
Russ

bauchy

Re: Fibreglass Removal

Postby bauchy » 23 Mar 2010, 20:49

hey mate, welcome to the site

i used a quality 2k paint stripper first up then i used a heat gun which took some time but worth the effort. dont try rip the glass off cold or you will find out very soon after wat happens. i found this out the hard way.

get some pics up so we can have a gander. always good to see what people have.

brian

T-Bird

Re: Fibreglass Removal

Postby T-Bird » 25 Mar 2010, 11:37

G-day Brian

I had a feeling there would be no shortcuts just a bit of muscle and a lot of sweat.

As for the photos, the boats in hibernation till I complete an extension to my garage to house her. This will be completed after Easter at which time I will bring her home and get some photos. I intend to keep photos of progress and from time to time post them on the bulletin board.

Thanks for your feedback
Regards Russell

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”