Buster Skiff Restoration

Any questions? We will try and help.
Will

Re: Buster Skiff Restoration

Postby Will » 19 Aug 2020, 17:17

yes you are right about that- Ive been there before! That little 3k engine Nathan has now had a 5L dry sump tank and in the long left hand sweeper - Corporate Hill at eastern creek when approaching the breaking point for the hairpin the oil light would flash for a millisecond . Its hard to imagine where 5L of oil could 'hide' in a little engine like that - sustained centrifugal force - didnt happen anywhere else but a 6l tank fixed it.
Ive got around 9l for the holden

habits

Postby habits » 01 Aug 2021, 13:01

Hi Will just wondering if you have any updates on Buster how its all coming together, think its almost time to start looking for another now ive got a few things sorted out regards Phil

Will

Postby Will » 02 Aug 2021, 12:30

Hi Phil - I havent done anything to Buster except a lot of work on the Holden engine.
I do fell a bit like I stole your baby! If you want to discuss please PM me
cheers

screwit

Postby screwit » 08 Aug 2021, 09:37

I like your thinking with the dry sump . Have had these thoughts of my own of late .
Great now l will be awake at night thinking about it.!!!!

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 08 Aug 2021, 12:44

Will what sort of scavenger pumps are used , It's easy enough to tap the holden side plate for the pump to pick up but what is available
to pump from the sump to the tank .
Ken

Will

Postby Will » 08 Aug 2021, 15:39

Well Ken there isnt anything off the shelf unless you buy a multi stage system
What I do is use the pump internals from a larger engine (in this case a 351 windsor ford ) - machine the casing almost totally off just leaving enough of the porting to enable matching the new billet housing. Machine the housing out of aluminium stock, drill and tap inlet and outlet ports then cut and match the drive to the camshaft end ( I used a tang system on the holden but have used hex drives in the past). Then figure out how to bolt the pump to the timing case ( 4 csk socket head screws locktited in - in this case )
Im not sure the volume of the pump will be sufficient - bit suck it and see- but ive since bought a high volume pump for 351 windsor which is 1/4 in deeper so if i get stuck that will be the next step. I only realised too late about the HV pump!
A better system would be to use a pair of smaller gerotor gear sets in a purpose machined housing 2 dash10 inlets and one Siamesed dash 12 outlet to the dry sump tank with a timing belt drive - I used these on the Suzuki and Corolla race engines - worked great but a lot of work. I was much younger then!

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 08 Aug 2021, 17:19

Thanks Will . I had a y block once with a sump pump that was mounted to the direst drive housing ,I got caught once thinking the tank was low so added a couple of liters only to take it out for a hoon next time i put it in the water and discovered oil every where . It seems to be a challange to get a pump to match the enging oil pump .
Ken

Will

Postby Will » 08 Aug 2021, 21:22

yes there are a few traps - with a new system we start with the dry sump tank 3/4 full - run the engine to warm up then drop back to idle - if the tank is more than half full at idle then should be ok you could top up to 3/4 at idle - if tank is nearly empty the scavange pump is too small. if scavange is good or even a bit too good then thats not a problem, a bit of negative pressure in the sump is ok. The oil cooler /heat exchanger should always be on the return line to the tank.
One perceived problem can be low oil level in tank after sitting unused - the oil can drain into the sump on some engines depending on the block design and type of oil pump - its not an issue tho - start the engine and the levels will return to 'normal' DONT add oil before starting tho
One big plus for dry sumps is - there is no necessity to prime the oil pump after rebuilds or oil changes - roll the engine over with the ignition off and instant oil pressure after a couple of revs - there is always an oil head on the pump intake

Will

Postby Will » 18 Sep 2021, 09:48

If you see FB you will know Buster has been involved in a Boomerang maneuver back to Habits - I always felt like I was stealing his baby. good luck with it Phil. Michael the transporter was a great bloke with a good set up for carrying any sort of car / boat - see pic
Ive kept the holden motor so now need something to fit it to!

Will

Postby Will » 18 Sep 2021, 10:09

20210916_164446.jpg
20210916_164446.jpg (484.34 KiB) Viewed 23321 times

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”