trying to identify skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
retroboat

Re: trying to identify skiff

Postby retroboat » 18 Jun 2015, 08:40

Thanks for the information Darren,
I will give Ron a call later and ask him what he thinks, I have attached a picture of the transom looking straight on for everyone to look at.
I took some photos of fury when I picked the boat up and it looks identical in the transom.
I may have to bring the boat to Nerranderra in what ever state of restoration its in then people may be able to tell me more from looking at it in the flesh.
I have four more planks to sand and then I will be able to get on with the good jobs like making ribs and planks and re roving.
cheers Nathan.
Attachments
lewis transom.JPG
lewis transom.JPG (113.7 KiB) Viewed 7593 times

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 18 Jun 2015, 10:00

Here's some to compare with Nathan.

I reckon the closest match is with Invader in that the hull shape straightens below the bilge line. Fury is similar. The others seem to continue with the curve.

Invader.jpg
Invader.jpg (202.53 KiB) Viewed 7582 times

Fury.jpg
Fury.jpg (177.91 KiB) Viewed 7580 times

Miss Lyndy.jpg
Miss Lyndy.jpg (245.43 KiB) Viewed 7573 times

Mouse.jpg
Mouse.jpg (214.14 KiB) Viewed 7578 times

Scrubcat.jpg
Scrubcat.jpg (193.21 KiB) Viewed 7575 times

Yenom.jpg
Yenom.jpg (151.65 KiB) Viewed 7577 times

screwit

Postby screwit » 18 Jun 2015, 10:42

Invader was ordered in 1967
Ross

lewisinfo

Postby lewisinfo » 18 Jun 2015, 10:58

Hi ALL, All big skiffs such as Invader Rebound Fox etc had 8 planks a side . All skiffs had the inverted plank no 4 . There was only 1 transom pattern, so ALL skiffs are the same . I hope this helps Ron .

Darren

Postby Darren » 18 Jun 2015, 23:51

Yes Invader seems to match the shape. So maybe if Invaders a Lewis Brothers, then at that fines it down a little.

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 21 Jun 2015, 09:58

thanks for posting the pictures Greg,
It does look a lot like invaders transom.
I have sanded the whole boat now with the exception of the inverted planks, there is no name but I think I have found the outline of part of a club flag. There are traces of white paint on the upper planks which don't form any particular pattern to suggest a name.
The transom is also sanded and nothing was found there except that it was varnished and not painted.
I am not sure what the original colour of the hull was although I am leaning towards brick red.
I am not sure how the white paint ended up under the brick red though.
maybe the whole boat was unpainted at the start of its life and was just varnished with white lettering.
Nathan.

Doc

Postby Doc » 21 Jun 2015, 11:54

Most clinker race boats racing had a life span of 2 seasons and ended up changing owners. Over a period of 50yrs ,i should imagine colour changes happen with new owners [ race teams etc.] plus most original race engines stayed with the first owner to go in the new hull. There's no doubt that " Invader" is a Lewis hull, which can be confirm from the original owner.
Doc. { transom is similiar to "The Mouse" ] which is the photo above "Geerloose". " Brick Red " [quoted ] created from brickies mortar tints added to varnish in the early days.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 30 Jun 2015, 08:49

Nathan
How thickly did you apply the white/spirit - plaster of paris paste and for how long was it on? Did you re-do it a couple of times or just the once?
Greg

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 30 Jun 2015, 12:31

Greg,
I mixed it up to the consistency of toothpaste and painted it on with a brush enough to cover the area, the mixture goes brown and most of it vacumed up with a wet and dry vac. I then scrubbed it with clan soapy water and hosed it out with clean water to get rid of the remaining residue.
I'm not sure if hosing it out was a good or bad thing though because now it has to dry out properly.
I reapplied it 3 times before I was happy it was clean and the water didn't bead on the surface when I rinsed it out.
maybe you should try it on a small area first to make sure you are happy the process will work for you and not damage the boat.
I used brush cleaner as opposed to white spirits or turps because it says it dissolves grease and oil on the label.
the reason I say to make you own decision is because when I sanded the planks I could see moisture coming through around the nails, I have put some plaster of paris on these areas to try and draw the moisture out from around the nails.
I will report on wether this has worked tonight as I have only done it in a small area and will check on it tonight.
Nathan.

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 30 Jun 2015, 21:35

g'day Greg,
I forgot to mention that I left the mixture on for 24 hours.
I removed the plaster of paris tonight after it had been on the hull for 24 hours and wiped the planks with a cloth dampened with metho.
It seems to have absorbed most of the moisture that was seeping through the nail holes. I will put some more on and leave it another 24 hours.
It was sprinkled on dry straight out of the packet, I am also going to try talcum powder to see if that absorbs the moisture.
Nathan.
Attachments
after removal of [plaster wiped clean with metho rag.JPG
after removal of [plaster wiped clean with metho rag.JPG (148.49 KiB) Viewed 7189 times
application of plaster of parris.JPG
application of plaster of parris.JPG (159.89 KiB) Viewed 7182 times
moisture seepage through nails1.JPG
moisture seepage through nails1.JPG (144.93 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
moisture seepage through nails.JPG
moisture seepage through nails.JPG (139.11 KiB) Viewed 7181 times

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”