trying to identify skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
habits

Re: trying to identify skiff

Postby habits » 06 Jun 2015, 08:25

There was a black skiff around many years ago named Saturn and was powered by a side valve ford was owned by a mate of mine when he sold it, it didn't have an engine and the guy that bought it turned it into a runabout prior to it being called Saturn it was called Wildfire for memory . My mates away on holidays for a couple of weeks I will give him a call when he returns and see if he can post a picture of it on here it used to race around Melton and Geelong mainly when he had it may well be a different boat but you never know.
Phil

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 06 Jun 2015, 22:57

Thanks for the information phil I look forward to seeing a picture of Saturn to compare the two boats, I couldn't find any pictures of a boat called wildfire but did see a picture of a boat called firefly on the oz boat racers website.
It will be interesting to see what information your mate has.
cheers Nathan.

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 06 Jun 2015, 23:10

managed to get 3 and a third planks sanded before the Velcro pad and my sander kept throwing discs must have worn it out.
will fix sander and carry on tomorrow.
Attachments
3 sanded.JPG
3 sanded.JPG (168.8 KiB) Viewed 7466 times
3 planks sanded front view.JPG
3 planks sanded front view.JPG (171.51 KiB) Viewed 7464 times

habits

Postby habits » 07 Jun 2015, 08:43

Looking good Nathan I made a typo yesterday it may have been Wildcat not Wildfire the memories not as good as it used to be I will get that photo as soon as he gets home.

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 11 Jun 2015, 23:45

almost half 1 side sanded, starboard side, looks like the bottom 3 planks have been replaced at some point there is a distinct difference between the timbers.
the 4th and 5th plank have cracks between the nail holes at least 50% of the way.
In the interest of keeping the boat as original I would like to replace the plywood backing bonding with west system or similar and the fill the cracks with epoxy and wood dust to stabilise the cracks, then drill and re rove them to the new ribs. some of the other cracks have been filled with epoxy and microballo0ns and appear stable.
I would like to see what other members thoughts are on this method of repair. please feel free to advise me of your experiences with these issues.
I will happily replace the plank of the bad part of it if they cant be repaired reliably.
cheers Nathan

for interest the solid timber of the planks is 3/8 inch and has a 3/16 inch ply backing total thickness 9/16.
Attachments
plank cracks.JPG
plank cracks.JPG (139.49 KiB) Viewed 7299 times
different timber in planks.JPG
different timber in planks.JPG (149.37 KiB) Viewed 7298 times
almost half sanded1.JPG
almost half sanded1.JPG (145.4 KiB) Viewed 7298 times
almost half sanded.JPG
almost half sanded.JPG (150.45 KiB) Viewed 7297 times

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 15 Jun 2015, 19:05

had a break from sanding and machined up a pile of spotted gum decking to make ribs from at a later date

screwit

Postby screwit » 15 Jun 2015, 21:41

Had a plank on my little skiff that had the splits between the roves but it was on the inside about 4ft long , at about the same number off planks from the keel.
they are just solid plank but I mixed up some glue and sawdust from the belt sander bag and forced it in with a putty knife and wiped it clean and have no problems with it since.
Ross

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 16 Jun 2015, 07:48

sounds like a good plan Ross.
I will be replacing the plywood backing on the planks anyway which should give the plank its strength back and will fill the crack with the same mix, I have an abundant supply of saw dust for the job.
I thought this repair would be ok just wanted to see what other people have tried successfully, thankyou for your reply.
Nathan

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 16 Jun 2015, 21:45

another plank sanded tonight only 7 more to go

Darren

Postby Darren » 17 Jun 2015, 23:04

Looking at the transom I don't believe it is a Frank Lewis Skiff of the later ilk like Renogade, Yemon or Scrubcat.
Looks more the earlier Lewis brothers vintage....Ron Hodge would have probably a better idea, but the actual transom shape looks around the Rebound, or Miss Lindy Era - possibly earlier sixties?
Darren

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”