trying to identify skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
retroboat

Re: trying to identify skiff

Postby retroboat » 12 Jul 2015, 19:31

I went shopping for meranti/ pacific maple at the tile importer in Oakleigh this weekend. found some excellent quality meranti planks, 235mm x 19mm 5 metres long $14.18 per metre. If I had more money I would have bought his whole stock, they all look really good and he has them in long lengths, he also has them in 285mm X 19mm $18.00 per metre.
Nathan.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 12 Jul 2015, 20:40

The range of Stock that Tile importers has is quite amazing and their prices ar failey good too. lots of NZ Oregon its only fair quality for what we are after in the boat building industry. but for ahrdwoods and Merbau and other hardwoods like kwila thay are excelant.
If you are after plantation grown equivelent of Honduras Mahogany drop me a lina as I know where to get it at a decent price.
If you need any wood machining done. I can do it for you rather than pay a yard to do it. I have a table saw and a thickneser that are just sitting here at the moment.

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 12 Jul 2015, 21:31

hi Piquet,
Thanks for offering your assistance, the only problem is that I live in Deniliquin and not Melbourne, I was visiting my grandmother there. I have a table saw and thicknesser but it always makes life easier to have two on a plank. I may have to get my dear wife to assist me, I am sure she will be happy to help because I told her I bought the boat for her.
She is not silly though and knows I really bought it for me.
She likes it when I go out to the shed to work on it because it means I am not in the house annoying her.
cheers Nathan.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 12 Jul 2015, 23:05

If SWMBO doesn't like being on the end of a plank going through a thicknesser
she is going to absolutely going to detest being on the end of a dolly when you are nail and roving!

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 12 Jul 2015, 23:06

Denny is a bit far away but the offer to anyone in Melbourne and nearby stands.

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 13 Jul 2015, 07:37

I have a mate in nearby who will be willing to hold a dolly, could probably help with planks if needed.

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 18 Jul 2015, 20:44

Good evening all,
I am going to Melbourne tomorrow to pick up the planks I purchased last weekend.
I am in the process of building a fixture to keep the hull where it should be when I turn it back over and a boatisserie to aid the turning over of the hull. This should be able to be operated by 1 person if it works as I have planned. Will post pictures when finished.
I will then be working on the replacement of the top 2 planks on the port and starboard sides.
I have noticed that the top planks on both sides are assembled with the plywood backing on the outside.
Does anyone know if this is original?. All the other planks have the plywood backing on the inside.
My other question is wether anyone has the measurements for the correct location of the deck structure, or some detailed pictures which could help?.
It is far from decking but I like to plan ahead as much as possible.
I would be very grateful to anyone who can help me with the above mentioned details.
cheers Nathan.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 19 Jul 2015, 10:18

I'm pretty sure my skiff has the ply like that. I thought it was weird as well. Maybe Ron Hodge can educate us as to why.

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 19 Jul 2015, 13:07

Hi Nathan, I've just spoken to Ron Johnson and he said that was the normal arrangement with the ply but he doesn't know why.

Doc

Postby Doc » 19 Jul 2015, 15:32

Clinker hull rolls with the deck , the top plank has ply on the outside to stop splitting. It would split if ply was on the inside.The whole idea of ribs is for movement.
Doc.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”