Bow protection strip

Any questions? We will try and help.
viteau

Bow protection strip

Postby viteau » 19 Nov 2014, 06:21

Just wondering if anyone can suggest how is is the easiest way to have made a bow protection strip that runs down the leading edge to under the water line. I am fixing up wear the winch roller on my trailer rubbed through the glass and exposed the ply underneath. I would like something like on miss Australia for example. I have modified my trailer bearers so the boat doesn't come near the roller again. Cheers Chris

Damo

Re: Bow protection strip

Postby Damo » 19 Nov 2014, 20:56

Hey Chris, How things mate, I have already started mine and listed below the steps I have completed so far as well as the steps I will complete once I have material. I hope this is of some help mate and If you get it done before me let me know how it goes. ;)

Damo

- Firstly i found some cardboard and templated each side of the bow separately , i did each side because so far I haven't found two measurements the same on my boat!! :shock: :?
- I marked in increments of 100mm down the bow and used a bevel gauge to measure the width and record it as it progresses down the chine.
- This is the stage i am at currently as I'm trying to find some scrap S/S cheap to make it out of.
- Once you have some material cut out the profiles and tack the nose in the spots at the 100mm marks, ensure the plates are opened up to approx v of the boat.
- Next you need to cut some 10mm wide back straps ( number them ), the width of these will vary depending on how wide you want you strip and how far you go towards the chine.
- Once cut tack on the back straps in the correct positions, this should now start to look like its actually going to fit :shock: :lol: :lol:
- Once all tacked weld up the pointy bit, beware though of running long welds as this will warp the material. I would tack and cool in various places i go, I would also tack or clamp it in place to reduce the chance of movement!!

viteau

Postby viteau » 21 Nov 2014, 16:25

Damo, I think I will wait till you get yours done before I venture out to get mine fabricated. I wish now that I had spent the extra cash end had one made up in Adelaide when it was being restored. I still have'nt found the plans yet which is frustrating but it couldn't be to far away as I have seem them since we moved in 5 years ago. Cheers. Chris

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 21 Nov 2014, 17:57

Is your boat a SKI-HI model Chris?

viteau

Postby viteau » 22 Nov 2014, 08:19

Yes it is Greg

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 22 Nov 2014, 18:52

If ever you (or anyone else) need them (or maybe you have already got them), I have a complete set of plans for that model. (1966)

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 23 Nov 2014, 20:50

Chris its called a cutwater and you have to make it to suit the boat. The plans wont help you because I can guarantee it will be slightly different ( they are hand made dont forget. If you dont do any good I can make one but I need the boat. It will take easily a whole day to make.

viteau

Postby viteau » 23 Nov 2014, 21:41

Thanks Dave. I was only referring to the plans for the history of my boat as Peter the builder had notes written on it. He told me that when he was putting the ply on the hull that he bent his shed trusses trying to get the right shape. Cheers chris

Damo

Postby Damo » 24 Nov 2014, 09:50

Hey Greg, I would very much like to get my hands on some Ski hi plans as I believe that mine is the same as Chris's, if they are available my mob is 0448 794 796, Cheers!! :)

Damo

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 24 Nov 2014, 10:50

Damo

PM sent

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”