quikest way to clear a deck??

Any questions? We will try and help.
bauchy

quikest way to clear a deck??

Postby bauchy » 13 Dec 2009, 18:28

hey guys
ive got my new on my bondwood and need to get it cleared as soon as possible. i like the look and feel of spar varnish but i just dont have two weeks to do it ( its time for skiing ) so what products have people used? im thinking mirotone clear 2 pack or similar so i can get it done in a day rather then a week.

what have you used and how'd you find it???

i wont be using epoxy after last time no matter what is said so ive counted that out for the job,. any help would be great

brian

bootlegger

Re: quikest way to clear a deck??

Postby bootlegger » 14 Dec 2009, 09:53

Brian just build up the coats with 2 pac. You will still need to cut it back to fill the grain. eventually you will build it up enough and it will look great.

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 14 Dec 2009, 22:00

sweet, thats what i was thinking dave.

do i just do a coat, let it flash off and recoat?? then when its dry cut it back with a buff???

or do i just do a few coats, let it dry, rub it back then a few more coats to ill the grain????

thanks dave

Ricshaw

Postby Ricshaw » 31 Mar 2011, 09:35

Hey Brian .
At the get together we were talking about a product that you use on the floors
as a deck varnish and you mentioned that you can add an accelerator to it to dry in about 20 mins.
Can you give me some info on it .
Ta Ric...

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 31 Mar 2011, 13:19

Rick be carefull trying to accelerate the drying of varnish. If it dries fast it will probably mean its gone hard as well. The beauty of varnish nover things like epoxy is it stays flexible. A boat moves around a lot more than a floor.

Ricshaw

Postby Ricshaw » 31 Mar 2011, 17:42

Thanks for the tip Dave . I will remember it when I do my decks ;
but I am doing the skirting boards in my house and am after the quick dry part .
Ric

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 31 Mar 2011, 20:28

hey ,

if you want the wet glassy look id certainly go polyurethane on a boat deck. just like two pack thats been rolled on it will crack and brake if it moves allot. im redoing the deck on my clinker which is currently varnish and the new one will certainly be poly.
if i went strip timber again over ply id prolly go varnish again though.
how many skirts do you need to do with the coating? a drum of the coating we spoke about will cost you about $460 for 20 litres plus the hardener. for skirts id try 1045 by polycure but you can only buy it in 20 litres and that will still cost ya about 150 plus the accelarant.
your in darwin right???? personally id use intergrain ultra deck which is a water base coating that you can just brush on and it will dry in about ten minutes up there. if you do two coats then rub it back with some 120grit paper and then do another coat it will be coated realy well depending on what sort of timber you have. it goes along way so if you bought a one litre tin it would more then likely do what you need and only cost about $60. for example when we coated decks with water base we use that and it takes 10 litres to coat 150metre2 of decking with an applicator. thats a bigger deck then most people have but it shows how far you would get with one litre doing it with a brush or roller. best part is its gna dry very quick which you want.
best part is the big green shed sell it at the best price so its easy to get. if it doesnt suit let me know and i can suggest something else but thats what id use for skirts
brian

Ricshaw

Postby Ricshaw » 05 Apr 2011, 10:45

Thanks for that Brian . I will go with the water soluable stuff from the big green shed .
Easiest option me thinks .
Ta Ric...

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”