Trying to identify 'Bimbo'

Any questions? We will try and help.
Drizzle

Trying to identify 'Bimbo'

Postby Drizzle » 03 Mar 2014, 21:56

Hi all! First post here. Thanks for having me.

I've inherited an old wooden ski boat from a mate that has been passed down the family generations. Bimbo is currently looking slightly dishevelled and in need of restoring to her former glory. I'm trying to identify what make she is, so hoping someone here can offer some advice.

There are no visible markings that I can see. It is powered by a 6 cylinder Holden 138 ci Grey motor, but rumour has it that she originally had an engine from a Ford Prefect. She is entirely made from wood but had the hull covered in fibreglass about 20yrs ago.

There's a short video here from 1997 when she was in much better shape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVJ8TTsWlpk

If anyone could shed some light on it, it would be greatly appreciated!

JamesW

Re: Trying to identify 'Bimbo'

Postby JamesW » 03 Mar 2014, 23:50

Welcome Drizzle, Love the video. I remember Keepit being full of dead trees last time I was there for a school camp in the mid 70's. Things havn't changed have they :o . Are you in the Tamworth area?

Don't know much about boat builders and history, so not much help with identifying builder, but would guess it's home made. I know of 4 ski boats, including my fathers that were owner built and or the local builders helped out with in the Scone / Glenbawn Dam area. Bondwood seemed to be the way to go for the do it yourselfer. My Father told me the common engines/kits were sidevalve ford V8 and sidevalve dodge 6.

Cheers,
James

Drizzle

Postby Drizzle » 04 Mar 2014, 23:12

Thanks James,

Yes, it could well be a home built job. From the four owner built ski boats you are familiar with, do you know if they were made from the same readily available plans, or if people just experimented with their own designs?

I was born and raised in Tamworth, but moved to Brisbane about 20 years ago. Many a great day was had at Lake Keepit. The dead trees just made skiing more challenging! ;)

JamesW

Postby JamesW » 05 Mar 2014, 00:23

I understand the plans for my Dad's boat exist but getting hold of them is another issue.

From what I understand the plans were purchased with marinising, drive, steering etc as a kit. My father had a lot of popular mechanics magazines from the 50's, these offered plans from high chairs to houses and I wouldn't be suprised if this is where the plans came from. I'm sure none of the boats were the same, but need to catch up with one of my fathers mates and find out more info before it's too late. I'm also sure the plans were not modified, these builders were all too young and just wanted a boat to ski behind.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”