Deck resto

Any questions? We will try and help.
Waywood

Deck resto

Postby Waywood » 30 Jan 2014, 15:14

Hi All
I'm after some,well alot of advice on a 67 Everingham I recently purchased.Not sure if it fits on this site as it has a glass hull but advice on the deck replacement in timber what I'm chasing. Talked to ply suppliers and 6mm Giboon glued and screwed,with a 4mm mahogany just glued was the train of thought. On the right track ? The other trick question was,it has a slant 6 with only one of the exhaust used other being blocked off with plug. Original type engine of period?
Thanks Matt

screwit

Re: Deck resto

Postby screwit » 30 Jan 2014, 15:49

6mm ply you will find hard to pull over the curve of the deck , 4 mm would be my choice , but may still need to nail or screw it down.
I don't trust the fist veneer slice - 1*5 mm to hold down the ply to the hull.
Yes the slant 6 is a period engine and do go well.

Waywood

Postby Waywood » 31 Jan 2014, 19:32

Thanks Screwit. Original deck was 10mm so I guess 2x4mm is the plan. Edge is aluminium and I'd like to match it up as close as possible. Thanks again
Ps glass/Timber boats allowed to events organised on this site?

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 01 Feb 2014, 09:42

Matt

Re the glass hull/timber deck and this club, for official club events, it's still full wood only. Having said that, don't give up on us. There is still plenty of discussion to be had on the subject.

Greg

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 01 Feb 2014, 13:49

Hi Matt,
Did you buy the Everingham from Murray Bridge that was on Gumtree?
The Aquafest at Goolwa is open to all types of powerboats and there have been some very nice fibreglass hull/wooden deck boats at past events. Its not a CAWPBA event but quite a few members do come and bring their Skiffs, Runabouts & Hydros. There has been everything from small wooden outboard hydros to current blown alcohol boats at previous events.
If you are in SA you could come down for a look at the Powerboat picnic on the 22nd of Feb. Intro yourself to Glen (Fury skiff), Thommo (Linda-K skiff) or I'll be somewhere near Jayme II.
Dave

Waywood

Postby Waywood » 02 Feb 2014, 15:05

Greg I won't be leaving soon as I was on the wrong site for too long. I have heaps of history to share and a grandmother with a pretty good memory. Dave yeh it's the Murray brigde one and I'm a bit worried because no one else snapped it up. Glass/timber issue I addressed myself by starting a Facebook group for these boats and 60s/70/80s clinker glass boats because I couldn't find a group that dealt with all models. Goolwa in April I'll at least have the race boat and hopefully the everingham too,can't wait. Based in vic so I'm trying to slowly start something here like Goolwa but just a pinic day. Thanks again Matt

Wildwoody1

Postby Wildwoody1 » 02 Feb 2014, 16:30

Is it identified as an Everingham build by manufacturers Tags , have never seen a Glass model as early as that. Early Stephens had wooden decks and could be mistaken if viewed in a "mirror" for an Everingham.

You should have a great time with the boat , good luck.

Wildwoody1

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 02 Feb 2014, 16:47

No worries Matt, we'll see you at Goolwa.
What is the "race boat"?
Dave

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 02 Feb 2014, 17:06

Im surprised the deck is ten mm. Most decks ive replaced have been 6mm. I really havent had any dramas pulling it down.
I did the deck on my hydro Atomic is 6mm and although it was difficult it layed down with some straps and ratchets. The curve on the deck was a lot more severe than a runabout.
Im doing the deck on the big skiff in 2 x 3mm layers but that because I got onto some 11ft long sheets of mahogany but they were only available in 3mm.
The beauty is I only have 1 join in the deck.

Waywood

Postby Waywood » 02 Feb 2014, 17:26

I'll put some pics on this week and see if someone can workout eve/steph now mystery to me. That's why no one else bought it ha ha. Love the design regardless and have been dreaming of glass/timber combo back to my close seacraft ties of young. Beautiful deck maintenance free bottom(I know it's cheating). 10mm maybe a cheap packing wood done in the 70/80/90?. The race boat is common and remains aynnoumous because it reminds me of wall talking on another site. Does have SA history and been looking forward to Goolwa with it. Matt

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”