Deck resto

Any questions? We will try and help.
Wildwoody1

Re: Deck resto

Postby Wildwoody1 » 02 Feb 2014, 18:38

This was the first wooden decked Stephens from late 60,s.
Attachments
combine1.jpg
combine1.jpg (51.27 KiB) Viewed 8213 times

Waywood

Postby Waywood » 02 Feb 2014, 22:44

Seems mine has deeper bow and different kick under deck at rear. Has id tags with sa and numbers on rear and under deck. Seller seemed sure it was sold new at Murray bridge when everingham were there and was a very early mould. Tried photos but doesn't want to load. Thanks Matt

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 03 Feb 2014, 07:04

Hi

I agree with Bootlegger, Putting a 6mm deck on the boat should be pretty simple. The deck curve is pretty mild in comparison to Atomic and The Spook which I have just finished building. The deck on The Spook is 6mm and although it was pretty tedious and required a dry run to work it all out, it basically just screwed down.

The methodology I used was to get the piece of ply, cut it to an oversize shape and put one end of it in place. Once that edge is screwed down you continue to screw it down until its all down and in place. Then trim it to about 1 to 1 1/4 inches all around. This gives you a piece of ply which is the right shape and has all the screw holes that you need to hold it down while the epoxy sets. I went and bought the slowest epoxy I could get and with a couple of helpers and some cordless drills set so as not to strip the screw holes we put each piece down in about 15-20 minutes. Then when the epoxy sets trim off the excess ply.

Spook

Waywood

Postby Waywood » 03 Feb 2014, 09:44

Thanks Guys really takes that hint of fear out trying something new. One last question which would have answered on here 100 times but one I'm good at stuffing up. The best way to line up screws through ply into frame without missing ?

screwit

Postby screwit » 03 Feb 2014, 18:37

Make a timber fork that has slightly wider opening than the ply being used, and trim the top side where you want the screw the bottom is shorter as it runs on the gunnel. run this around with a pencil to mark the screw line.
Ross

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 03 Feb 2014, 21:00

In my case I built the boat from scratch so I pretty much new the line of every frame and batten, however once you've cut the ply to an approximate shape go around the edges and with a pencil mark each frame on the edge of the ply and you approximate where these are in the middle of the sheet, draw some lines. Then draw some lines which approximate the battens as you start putting the screws in push the next section of the ply down and if necessary tap on the ply to find the batten or frame top. You will be surprised how easily you can approximate where the line of screws should go. As I said before at this stage it should be a dry run and by the time you have finished the dry run its all screwed down and you look at it and go "wow" because you suddenly have the shape of your deck. By doing it as dry run you can take your time at it.

For me I was never going to have clear timber finish on the deck so I had no concerns about getting one wrong occasionally as I would just fill the mistaken hole with epoxy paste later. Once you have it all screwed down leave it for a few days and it seems to set the shape of the deck into the ply a bit. Then when you are ready to glue it down unscrew it, mix up your epoxy paste, two of us put the epoxy paste on the tops of the frames and battens while the other one of us painted the underside of all of the deck pieces with epoxy before we screwed each of them down and I also painted the inside of the hull with epoxy to waterproof it before I put the deck on.

Spook

Ricshaw

Postby Ricshaw » 04 Feb 2014, 09:33

When I lived in Adelaide at Netley near the airport .The guy that owned the servo on Marion rd
had an ex race boat with a timber deck , it was an early Camero with a yellow hull.(no name on it)
After talking to him I got the imperssion that it was not a one off , Camero built a few.
I cant recall if it was center mount or v driven. This was in 1983.
Ric...

Ricshaw

Postby Ricshaw » 18 Feb 2014, 11:27

Was cruising Gumtree and came across one of the Cameros
that I mentioned in my earlier post .. reverse plank and all.
Gather from the ad that they were built in the early 70s.
Overall length looks about mid 15s so not a big boat
like the plastic hulled Lewis. Here is a link to the ad.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/geelong- ... 3?mpch=ads

Waywood

Postby Waywood » 18 Feb 2014, 13:39

Thanks Ricshaw Looks like the yellow one in ads below. No clear pictures of the back where it has curves below the deck.Finally worked out adding photos so that should make it easier to identify. Not happy about seeing that rearmount Camero 6,saw it a while back and Im going through 'want it' emotions all over. Taking most of March of to do deck/trailer and may still have a chance at making Goolwa. Thanks for the help
Nope photos too big,mystery remains

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » 18 Feb 2014, 16:07

Matt

There is a device on this BB that detects photos of plastic boats and prevents them being posted.

Seriously, there is a restriction on the size of pics posted on the Bulletin Board (coz I'm too tight to pay for more server space) :twisted:

If you keep your pic size below 800 wide and a resolution of 72 dpi or so you should be OK.

Let me know how you go.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”