Harris restoration frustration

Any questions? We will try and help.
NPeth

Harris restoration frustration

Postby NPeth » 29 Dec 2013, 18:39

Hi all, with Christmas comes time to work on projects and so I got down to it and finished replacing the cracked ribs in Grumpy. All went well, the inside was all varnished and then I went to refit the stringers. As I was nailing them back in another rib cracked :o :evil: :evil: :evil: I have had enough, no timber left for ribs and no desire to pull it all apart again. I though I might just see if I can sister in a partial rib along side of the crack. Any thoughts?
I was hoping to turn her upside down tomorrow and start on the bottom. GRRRR

rayza1

Re: Harris restoration frustration

Postby rayza1 » 29 Dec 2013, 19:41

Hey Nick which one's Grumpy, you or the boat? Keep at it you'll get there.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 29 Dec 2013, 22:19

Nick,
pull the nail out, squeeze some epoxy into the crack, then clamp it across the rib until the poxy hardens, then redrill with a slightly larger pilot hole and reanil or rescrew the stringer to the rib.

It should be fine. I think I would try this before putting in a sister rib. The epoxy if it is clear will not be visible through the varnish and it will probably be hidden behing the stringer anyway.
cheers
peter

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 02 Jan 2014, 20:29

Big moment today, Grumpy is off the trailer and upside down so I can get to work on the underneath, Stay tuned for update on the state of the cracked plank. Early information, the plank has been cut into and a piece of wood inserted into the cut, The wood has fractured into many pieces. I will post a picture once the old paint is off. I feel like I have reached a bit of a milestone today 8-)

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 02 Jan 2014, 22:39

Hey Nick is that a milestone or a millstone !!, you gunna make Yarrawonga? Pagan is running ok, so that promised drive will be on the cards.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”