Water pump

Any questions? We will try and help.
glenn

Water pump

Postby glenn » 08 May 2013, 16:36

I have the original Paul's duel water pump on my Y block and at idle or above it starts to get a little hot , the pully wheel driving it is 185 mm in diameter , is it pumping to slow or has the pump had its day. If so what should I replace it with. Glenn

JamesW

Re: Water pump

Postby JamesW » 08 May 2013, 17:56

I have a couple of these and thought the Siamese Paul pump was for flatheads which have a separate left and right cooling and temp gauge system, these motors originally had 2 water pumps as cars. The only reason for one on a Y would be for the volume and can be replaced by a modern single impeller jabsco style pump, the Y block I'm currently building has one of these.

My pump is in good nick and has had lip seals installed at both ends of the shaft and a roller bearing on the drive end but still needs water forced up into it initially (start boat and get it moving), there is also an indicator bypass pipe out the side that tells me water is being pumped and once primed is good for the day. Sounds like your pump isn't doing much at all, a good indicator is noticing your exhaust getting louder as it runs out of water before the temp gauge starts to rise.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 09 May 2013, 14:01

I had one of these pumps on my Y block. It was a single. Even as a kid in the boat, I can remember the pump having problems pumping through both banks. When I got the boat going again, the problem was still there. I tried changing the internal rollers with the closest alternative replacement I could get (Paul pumps have been out of production for years), but still could not improve it. A Jabsco pump fixed it.

glenn

Postby glenn » 13 May 2013, 12:43

I just tried to order a jabsco pump and found out there it a lot of different types, can you give the part number of the pump most suited for the Y block please. Glenn

JamesW

Postby JamesW » 13 May 2013, 20:51

Glenn,

Would suggest doing the same as I'm having to do; currently problems getting an impeller for my old Jabsco pump on the Y! Will just go for one that Whitworths/Bias stock for all the 350 chev ski boats, that way it will be easy to get a replacement impeller every year.

Do you have a thermostat/ bypass out the side to see/feel that your pump is pumping and get the motor up to operating temp.

JamesW

Postby JamesW » 14 May 2013, 21:38

Glenn,

Have been looking into which pump would suit my Y block. Looked at the Jabsco, and Fynspray ( https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... lutePage=1 )and will go with the Fynspray as Whitworths and others stock them with the 3/4" inlet &outlet. The Fynspray also supports each end of it's shaft which is better suited to my application.

glenn

Postby glenn » 15 May 2013, 05:01

Thank you for help & information on the water pump, that pump looks just right and the price is good to.I am ordering one today. Glenn.

glenn

Postby glenn » 11 Jun 2013, 19:10

Just letting u know the new water pump was just right. I ran the Raven on the week end and every thing was spot on.time to put the engine cover on and enjoy.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.37 KiB) Viewed 8204 times

screwit

Postby screwit » 11 Jun 2013, 20:54

Glen, your boat looks great, you should be pleased with that.
Ross

Alan

Postby Alan » 11 Jun 2013, 21:17

Glen, is this where we say your boat is now officially "cool" :roll:

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”